Speak No Evil

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Week Later

Charlie looked at Chief Unser as he shut the door to his office and took a seat. She was standing leaning against the wall as he sighed and opened the file in front of him. 

"This is the doctor's recommendations. Your psych eval was fine, but the medical... Charlie, I think you know what this says."

Charlie gave him a bitter smile and nodded shortly. "It says that I'm not fit to carry a gun. Yeah, I know."

Unser nodded as he rubbed his neck. "This is what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna keep you on medical leave for as long as we can so that your doctor bills get paid by the city. After that... I can put you on administrative leave for a couple of months so you'll continue to have insurance and your pay but after that... "

Charlie blew out a shaky breath and nodded. "Thanks, Wayne. You've done more for me with this than you had to, and I appreciate it."

He grinned at her as she stepped closer and leaned in to kiss him on top of the head. "You kinda remind me of my daughter." He grabbed her hand so that she would look at him. "You're gonna be fine, Charlie. You know that, right?"

Charlie smiled sadly and nodded as she broke contact with him and turned to the door. "Yeah, sure. See ya around, Chief."

She walked outside to find Gemma waiting in her Escalade. When she got in, Gemma gave her a questioning look. Charlie told her what the chief said as Gemma shook her head and handed her a pack of cigarettes. "Fuck! There's nothing that can be done? You can't shoot with your right hand?"

Charlie took a long drag from her cigarette as she stared out the passenger window. She shook her head. "No. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with my right. It's no use, Gemma. I'm done."

They were quiet for a few minutes before Gemma sighed. "Have you talked to Happy lately? He's starting to get worried. You're withdrawing too much, sweetheart."

Charlie shook her head before turning a tear-streaked face to the other woman. "Why? Why doesn't he get that I'm fucking useless right now? I don't know if I'll ever be... " She shook her head and angrily swiped at her face. "Just forget it. Take me home." Gemma just shook her head and turned the car toward Charlie's house. When Charlie got out in her driveway, she turned to look at Gemma. "Don't tell Happy about any of this, okay? I... I need to work through this myself."

Gemma stared at her for a long moment before shaking her head. "Christ! Alright, but you promise me that you aren't going to do anything stupid. You promise that or I'll be on the phone to Hap."

Charlie gave her a small smile and crossed one index finger over her heart. "I promise. I might get drunk, but I won't do anything stupid." When Gemma looked unconvinced, she grinned. "Really, I'll behave."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that evening, Happy was sitting on one of the couches watching Chibs and Tig play pool when his burner started ringing. He frowned when he looked and saw an unknown number. Shaking his head, he flipped the phone open.

"Yeah?"

"Eeyore?"

He rolled his eyes then grinned when he realized it was his old lady. "Hey, babe. You talking to me now?"

He heard a sigh on the other end. "I was never not talking to you, Hap. I'm just so... I found out today that I'm useless."

He frowned as he got up to walk outside where it was quiet. "You're not useless, Charlie. What are you talking about?"

"Yes, I am. I can't do my job anymore. What am I gonna do now, Eeyore?"

"We'll figure something out babe, but you aren't your job. And stop calling me Eeyore."

He heard a giggle and grinned. "I don't wanna."

His grin widened when it dawned on him that she was drunk. He remembered how she used to be when they were younger and thought that this conversation might get interesting. "How much have you had to drink, baby?"

His jaw tightened when she gave a soft moan. "I always loved it when you called me baby. You have the sexiest voice, Hap." He chuckled when she burped loudly. "Wow, those little airplane bottles really pack a wallop." He rolled his eyes before they widened considerably on her next words. "You know you were the best I ever had, right? I mean, wow were you the best. Do you miss me, Hap? I miss you."

"Charlie, I think you need to cut yourself off and go to bed, baby."

"I am in bed, silly. Do you miss me?"

Happy sighed. "Yeah, I do, Charlie."

He heard her sigh on the other end and closed his eyes, trying to imagine her laying in bed. "Good. I love you, Happy. Did I ever tell you that? No, I didn't. I told your mom though. I've only ever loved you, my Eeyore."

He grinned as his heart rate picked up a little. "Baby, I want you to hang up and get some sleep. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?"

"Happy?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you love me?"

He closed his eyes as he swallowed past the lump in his suddenly dry throat. "Yeah, baby, I do. I always did."

He heard Charlie giggle. "Good."

He smirked as he dug in his pocket for a toothpick. "Sleep, Charlie."

She sighed in his ear and he felt his pants get tighter. "Ok, Hap. Night-night."

He grinned. "Night baby."

She ended the call and he sat there for a moment with the phone in his hand before slowly putting it in his pocket. He didn't give a shit what was on the schedule for the club tomorrow. First thing in the morning, he was going to make sure his old lady knew her worth.