IV. Close The Door

I woke up earlier than usual, partly due to the excitement and partly because I wanted to put extra care into my appearance.

My stomach started to turn as more and more students filled up the bleachers. Why was I so nervous? I heaved out a small sigh.

The program that was meticulously arranged to inaugurate the new dean seemed endless. I sat before the entire student body on the stage along with my co-student faculty officers.

My mouth dropped open when I recognized the man I hadn't seen in a week. He came up on the stage, dressed in one of the finest tailored navy blue suits I had ever seen on a man. From his shiny leather shoes to his tie, knotted to perfection, he looked like a man who could close multimillion dollar deals, run a mile in three minutes, and come home and give a good fucking to his lover. I blushed at the thought of him doing exactly that with me.

The heavy, unsettling feeling inside my chest became heavier.

I sensed he had no idea who I was or any hint of recognition from him when he first looked at me.

He flashed me the same dazzling smile that made thousands of contortionist butterflies perform somersaults inside my stomach, made my heart jump instead of thump, and made me smile like a child on Christmas Day. I was losing my breath; I could've sworn I was hyperventilating.

He cracked that little smile before returning to his neutral expression and walked to the center of the stage to deliver his speech.

"It is a humbling honor to be entrusted to lead you," he started.

Tats looked over at me and mouthed, "He is so hot." I just shrugged my shoulder as if saying "He looks just fine." But he did look quite handsome, I had to admit. Had I been that good of an actress that I hid my emotions so well?

"First, I would like to express my sincere appreciation to my immediate predecessor, Dr. Roger O'Neal, who made tremendous efforts and provided surefooted leadership. May his soul rest in peace."

His speech went on and on. It was never boring. He occasionally threw out jokes that sent the crowd into fits of laughter. He spoke of new rules and old rules that were still in place, and of the consequences if any of the rules were broken.

Never once did he allow himself to glance my way. "We have an enormous responsibility in creating a field and a discipline that relates to both science and arts. I will need your help, advice, and support. I thank you enormously for coming and listening today. Thank you."

He finished his speech and all I could do was stare at him in awe.

"Agata." Anthony, our Student Faculty President, called. I felt Anthony nudge me with his arm.

"What? I'm listening to his speech." I scowled. "Agata, Dean's speech was over a couple of minutes ago."

"Err...sorry, what did you say?"

"We are waiting for you, Dean Gates wants us in his office."

"Oh-okay."

All eight of us marched down the corridor to his office. Anthony knocked once before we heard him say, "Come in." We stepped inside to see the dean sitting on his swivel chair, hands folded, and elbows resting on top of his desk.

A large pile of paperwork the previous dean had left now sat on his large desk.

He gave us a curt nod before we sat down in the chairs across from him.

"I have this folder in front of me containing the list of students who have dropped out of the university in the last couple of years. The numbers are high and it is quite alarming."

All of us were silent. I could tell Lea, our Student Relations Committee Chair, was nervous; her fingers were fidgeting quickly and beads of sweat formed on her face.

"I called this meeting to give you the chance to defend your faculty before I abolish it."

All of us jerked our heads up and stared at him.

"Now, give me a reason not to obliterate the council. Are you doing your part for the benefit of Gates University and your fellow students, or are you just a bunch of power trippers enjoying the benefits that Gates can give you?"

It felt like the air was sucked out of my lungs like a vacuum.

"Dean, we are definitely aware that high turnover rate can have a large negative impact upon a college's funding, facilities, and long-term curriculum planning. That's why we implemented a retention program for our fellow students and it is being supported by each college across Gates," said Joy, our Student Life Committee Chair.

"We determined barriers that can affect students' ability to obtain the post-secondary training and education they want. The program is addressing all of those issues. So far, our efforts to increase retention shows in figures and it's quite satisfying," added Anthony.

He turned to me and said, "Good. Anything else you want to add aside from scribbling down in your notebook?"

"I'm the secretary of the faculty, Dean, it's my job to jot down notes," I replied in a clipped tone.

He was getting on my nerves. If I had to describe him now, I'd call him the spawn of Satan.

"Fair enough." He stood from his chair and walked to the door. "This meeting is adjourned. Brown-haired boy with spectacles, I want you to submit to my office those figures you mentioned earlier," he demanded to Anthony.

"Yes, Dean."

He opened the door for us to leave. One by one we made our way out of his office. I was the last one to move across the room. There was an unsettling quiet in this office and my steps sounded loud against the floor.

"Thank you, Dean." It was all I had the chance to say before I heard my name being called. I stopped dead in my tracks, but I didn't turn around to look at him. "Yes, Dean."

"Close the door."

_________________

A/N: Hi lovelies! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! We're getting to know more and more about our characters. You will love them but for sure you will hate them at the same time. Agata isn't that goody goody after all. I wanted to make her more real. And Reeve...he' s just getting started.

I would love to hear your comment Arcangels! Feel free to let me know your thoughts. ;) Thank you!