Chapter 23: Not-So-Subtle Warnings

Harold's Pov:
I see my sister and George exit the hospital as they made their way to a bus stop. At least, that's what it looks like they are going to since there is a nearby bus stop. I slowly close the flaps of the curtain and back away from the window in front of me. I closed my eyes gently as I tried to calm down from what had happened. Not only did I end up in the hospital from some shitty temperature but, my sister came to check on me. I already have so many problems to deal with like the whole living together and two jobs! "They're gonna fire me, I swear!"  I exclaimed realizing nobody really told my bosses I was gonna be absent from work. I groaned quietly as I laid down once again in my bed. I don't need more problems on my hands. How many problems do I have to deal with until I can fully date my future husband? I looked beside to see extra clothes of mine. "Did George pack these for me when I get out?" I questioned, quietly. I examined each piece of clothing which was my usual school uniform which consisted of a white shirt, gray jacket, black pants, and shoes. "Couldn't he pack my normal clothes?" I mumbled. I felt something in the pocket of my jacket and put my hand in there to see what it was. I only felt a piece of folded paper and once I unfolded it had both a name and number. "Billy Lastor. 113-2468." I mumbled, my hand grasping the piece of paper a bit harder. I looked over to see my phone on top of the table as well. I grab it and quickly go to my keyboard to insert the number.

That is until someone opened the door, I rushed to put both the phone and number aside on the desk. A doctor came in along with Melvin as the doctor picked up a clipboard beside the door. "Hello, Harold. I'll be checking in every hour to see how you're doing." The doctor explained. "Exactly what kind of check-ins are we talking about?" I asked, slightly scared. I'm not a big fan of hospitals or checkups at all. "Don't worry, it's just your temperature, blood pressure, and pulse." He reassured as he went to look for the equipment.

First, he put a thermometer in my mouth and took it out after a while to record my temperature. Then, blood pressure came up as he recorded that as well after the procedure. Finally, my pulse was recorded after checking in that. "It seems everything seems to be good. Another doctor will check in soon after this. For now, just rest." The doctor ordered and I nodded slowly. The doctor put the clipboard aside the door as he exited the room. I noticed Melvin was still standing there as if he was about to tell me something. But, what was it?

"What do you want, nerd?" I asked, slightly annoyed. I didn't want to deal with a tattletale nor someone who stole George from me. Wait, what am I saying? I don't care who that dork hangs out with, but at the same time. It hurts to see him have fun with others while he is just annoyed by me. "George told me that you work two jobs so, I told the reception center to call your workplaces to let them know you will be absent. As well as your current condition." Melvin explained, walking toward my bed with a glare.

"Oh, well, thanks for doing that. I appreciate it." I mumbled, scratching my head. I'm not used to being nice to these dorks let alone a tattletale. "But, that's not the only reason I am here, Harold." He added with a stern tone of voice. I looked at him to see his eyes narrowed at me just like a mother does when they know their child had done something wrong. "What do you mean by that?" I scoffed yet, kind of scared. "You're the most popular chick magnet delinquent, right?" He questioned. I slowly nodded letting a tiny chuckle escape from that description.

"I know your type, Harold Hutchins," Melvin spoke, his arms behind his back. I looked at him with a confused expression as I crossed my arms. "You're the type to use and hurt others without knowing it." He added, his expression and tone never leaving. "What the hell is that suppose to mean?" I asked, letting out a somewhat confused chuckle. "Use your brain and find out for yourself." He replied, walking toward the door. His hand reached for the doorknob as he stopped halfway from exiting my hospital room. He slightly looked behind him and he stared at me.

"Oh and one last thing, I wouldn't always trust what the future holds. Decisions change them, Harold. You never know if you'll meet the person you are looking for with that type of character." Melvin explained before leaving. The door slammed shut and I was left alone with my thoughts. The room was filled with the sounds of the equipment working and the talking of other workers. It kept driving me insane after that conversation I had with Melvin. I hid my face under my pillow as I groaned slightly. "I don't understand what's going on." I mumbled, my voice slightly broken.

I yawned softly as I noted the stress that was building up. All these problems are too much for me to handle, sleep is the only way for me to finally relax. I don't understand what Melvin said and I don't want to. Not yet, at least.

I slowly shut my eyes and drifted off as I slept.