A Flash Fiction

It was like putting salt on a sweet vanilla pudding.

She stood when she knew she’d fall. She smiled when she knew she’d cry. She said she’s alright when she knew someday her heart would burst and she would suffer the fervour from her doings and life’s conspiracies. She is the salt. 

It was almost the end of the school year and yet he still had the time to tell her how much he loves her. He was one of those typical romantics who would speak up their feelings for someone with the usual roses-and-chocolates style, sing his heart out with a guitar, say ‘I love you’ with all the sign gestures and whispers in the air. Beautiful, indeed, but common. Thus, he is sweet. 

Maybe the ingredients should be put together in the same bowl. Let me tell you this: 

She liked the abandoned park so much that it served as her sanctuary when she had nowhere else to go to express her feelings out to. She would cry there, laugh by herself, and be who she really is. Thus it came a shock to her when he had followed her there and stood casually right before her.

Her clandestine world crashed that very moment.

“You’re beautiful,” he told her.

“I’m not,” she replied.

“You’re cute,” he said. 

“You’re lying,” she answered back. 

“I’m serious.” 

“You’re joking.” 

“I love you.” 

A beautiful silence.

“I hate you.” 

“Can you be my girlfriend?” 

Another dreamlike hush. 

“Have it your way.”

“Really?” 

“No.”

“Ouch.” 

“Yes.” 

“I love you.” 

“Lies.” 

“You’re everything I want.” 

“You’re not what I want.” 

“I don’t care.” 

“I do.” 

“I love you.”  

“Ah,” she said, trying to be passive. But you could see she’s trying to suppress a smile. Deep inside, she knew she was the one lying. Despite that, she told him this:

“I hate you, you dummy! Who the hell said that you can say that to me? I love you! I love you, you annoying jerk who filled my locker with roses. I love you, you scum who makes me feel weird all over with your stupid persistence. I hate you! I love you! Isn’t that enough?”

She looked away in sheer embarrassment but you know she means well. He smiled, he blushed and he giggled like a naïve school kid who just got a candy from his crush.

It was magic.

“I love you.”

Now would you believe having salt on vanilla would taste this better?