Chapter 29

I woke up to Bugsy licking my face. I turned my head slightly to see that it was 5:30 in the morning. And it was Tuesday. I took Bugsy out for a 20 minute walk before sleeping for another five minutes. I bolted awake at 6:00 and put on nice-ish clothes. Peter was making me go back to school. Ugh.

"Natalie?" I heard Neal call very quietly.

I tiptoed into the kitchen and ate breakfast before I finished getting ready. Annie and Eyal were awake by the time I left. I said goodbye to them and walked outside to grab a taxi.

I rode to school for the first time in ages. I tipped the cabbie and stepped out onto the pavement. I looked at the building in front of me and steeled myself against the monsters that are high schoolers. I went to my first class and sat in the back. I hated English only because of the essays. I could write poetry, and I didn't have an issue analyzing other people's work, but I could not write a decent essay. My teacher didn't mention my disappearance. He only handed me a book and several papers, one of which was a writing prompt for an analysis essay. I took one look at it, and I could feel my heart speed up. I wasn't afraid, but I hated feeling like I couldn't do something. I sat through the class, but I was multitasking. I was reading, answering comprehension questions, and listening to the current lesson simultaneously. I was more than happy to leave when the bell rang.

"Today we will be continuing our work in replicating the Raphael painting: Saint George and the Dragon," my art teacher was saying as I grabbed my supplies and took a seat.

I sketched out the basic outline of the figures, carefully measuring from a distance. I knew this painting well. My brother had stolen it to try to get Kate's attention years ago. Not that I could tell anyone that.

"Natalie, that is gorgeous," my teacher complimented me as she passed by, "You must know this painting well."

"I do, as a matter of fact. This painting is actually how my brother first met his girlfriend," I told her honestly.

"They will both love your rendition of it, I'm sure."

I only nodded my head as tears formed in my eyes. I resumed my work, but they collected on my lashes and eventually started to fall.

"Natalie, are you alright?" my teacher asked as she made her way down the rows once again.

"I am," I said to her, "I'm fine, I just really miss her."

The words were out of my mouth before I could stop myself. I could tell that other students were whispering around me. My teacher looked from me towards the door, and I got the message. I gathered my things and stepped outside for a second until she came out.

"Who do you miss?" she asked me gently.

"Kate." I took a very deep breath. "My brother's girlfriend that I was telling you about. She- she was killed in an accident a few months ago. She was like a sister to me. I used to joke and call her Mrs. Caffrey. My brother was so in love with her, I was sure that he would have asked her to marry him."

My teacher put her arms around my shoulders as I stifled more tears. I really did miss Kate. The way her eyes sparkled when she saw my brother, especially when he would paint her something. It was the sweetest thing to see the two of them together. They made me believe in true love. I took a few more deep breaths before going back to class. I insisted that I was fine as I resumed my sketching and painting. I could hear whispers of "Teacher's Pet" from all around me, but I ignored them. I had a math next, but I was more than a little reluctant to leave the room that smelled like Neal's apartment.

"What was your mental breakdown for in art?" some boy sneered at me.

I tried to walk around him, but he and his goons along with a few girls were blocking the entire hall. They stood waiting for an answer. I steeled my willpower to not breakdown again. I had dealt with losing Kate, being held captive by Keller more than once, and thinking that Alex had betrayed me- I could handle a few high schoolers.