Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case

Start from the beginning

"Come on." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

We both entered the bamboo wood, ducking and diving through the trees.

"Wow!" He said clearly amazed.

"Titus? Finn? Poppy, Marlow, Tom?" I called out.

Then we emerged into a sunlit glade. I pulled Pickett from my pocket and held him perched on my hand.

"He had a cold. He needed some body warmth." I explained.

"Aww."

We moved towards a small tree bathed in sunlight. As we approached, a clan of Bowtruckles chattered and rushed out of the leaves.

I extended my arm towards the tree, trying to persuade Pickett to rejoin the others. The Bowtruckles clacked noisily when they saw Pickett.

"Right, on you hop." I said.

Pickett steadfastly refused to leave my arm.

"See, he has some attachment issues." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

"Now come on, Pickett. Pickett. No, they're not going to bully you... Now, come on. Pickett!" I said to Pickett.

Pickett clinged by his spindly hands to one of my fingers, desperate not to return to the tree. Then I finally resigned myself.

"All right. But that is exactly why they accuse me of favouritism..."

I put Pickett onto my shoulder and turned. That was when I saw a large, round, empty nest. A concerned look appeared on my face.

"I wonder where Dougal's gone." I muttered under my breath.

From within a nearby nest, I heard chirping sounds and immediately understood what it was.

"All right I'm coming... I'm coming, Mum's here, Mum's here."

I reached into the nest and scooped up a baby Occamy.

"Ah, hello you, let me take a look at you." I said while observing the little creature.

"I know these guys." Mr. Kowalski said smiling.

"New Occamy... Your Occamy." I said to him.

"What do you mean? My Occamy?"

"Yes, do you want to..." I asked.

Then I proffered the Occamy to Mr. Kowalski.

"Oh wow...Yeah, sure...ah ha." He muttered.

Mr. Kowalski held the newborn creature gently in his hands and stared at it. As he moved to stroke its head, the Occamy moved to nip him. Mr. Kowalski started backwards.

"Ah, no, sorry, don't pet them. They learn to defend themselves early. See, their shells are made of silver so they're incredibly valuable." I explained.

Then I fed the other babies in the nest.

"Okay..."

"Their nests tend to get ransacked by hunters." I mentioned trying to educate the muggle.

I, delighted by Mr. Kowalski's interest in my creatures, took back the baby Occamy, placing it in the nest.

"Thank you... Mr. Scamander?" He asked me, croaky.

"Call me Newt."

"Newt... I don't think I'm dreaming."

"What gave it away?" I asked vaguely amused.

"I ain't got the brains to make this up."

I looked at Mr. Kowalski, both intrigued and flattered. Then I thought of an idea that might interest him.