Chapter 19: Inside Newt's Case

Start from the beginning

"Come on... come on... down you come... come on." I said with my eyes on Frank up high.

Slowly Frank calmed himself, lowering down to stand on a large rock in front of me. As he did so, the rain died down and was replaced by a brilliant, hot sunshine.

I put my wand away and produced a handful of grubs from my pocket. Frank watched me intently.

Then i stroked Frank with my free hand, calming him, affectionate.

"Oh, thank Paracelsus. If you'd have got out that could have been quite catastrophic... You see, he's the real reason I came to America. To brink Frank home." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

He, still staring, stepped slowly forwards. In reaction, Frank started to flap his wings, agitated.

"No sorry, stay there, he's a wee bit sensitive to strangers." I said to Mr. Kowalski.

"Here you are, here you are." I said to Frank.

"He was trafficked, you see. I found him in Egypt, he was all chained up. Couldn't leave him there, had to bring him back. I'm going to put you back were you belong, aren't I, Frank. To the wilds of Arizona."

My face was full of hope and expectation, as I hugged Frank's head. Then, grinning, I casted the handful of grubs high into the air. Frank soared majestically upwards after them, sunlight bursting from his wings.

I watched him fly with love and pride. Then I turned, put my hands to my mouth, and roared beast-like towards another area of the case the best I could.

I moved past Mr. Kowalski, grabbing the bucket of meat. He stumbles after me as several Doxys buzzed around his head. Mr. Kowalski, dazed, swatted them out of the way. Behind him a large dung beetle rolled a giant ball of dung.

I roared loudly again. Mr. Kowalski hurried towards the sound, finding me in a sandy, moonlit territory.

"Ah, here they come." I said under my breath.

"Here who comes?" Mr. Kowalski asked confused and kind of scared.

"The Graphorns."

A large creature came charing into sight. A Graphorn, built like a sabre-toothed tiger but with slimy tentacles at its mouth. Mr. Kowalski screamed and tried to back off, but I grabbed hold of his arm, stopping him.

"You're all right. You're all right."

The Graphorn moved closer to me.

"Hello, hello!" I said while strocking the Graphorn.

The Graphorn's slimy tentacles rested on my shoulder, seeming to embrace me.

"So they're the last breeding pair in existence. If I hadn't managed to rescue them, that could have been the end of Graphorns, for ever." I said filling Mr. Kowalski in.

A younger Graphorn trotted straight up to Mr. Kowalski and began to lick his hand, circling him curiously. He stared down at it, then gently reached out and stroked its head. I watched Mr. Kowalski, pleased.

"All right."

I threw a piece of meat into the enclosure, which was hastily chased and consumed by the young Graphorn.

"So what, you, you rescue these creatures?" Mr. Kowalski asked.

"Yes, that's right. Rescue, nurture and protect them, and I'm gently trying to educate my fellow wizard about them."

A tiny bright pink bird, the Fwooper, flew past and came to rest on a little perch, suspended from mid-air.

I headed up a small ramp of stairs.