Chapter 2: First Day

Luke's POV

The next day, I woke up and got dressed. From the looks of it, I was the first one up. I decided to walk to the dining area to get something for breakfast before we're called for training.

As I was walking over, I encountered Annie. So I decide to start talking to her. "Looks like I wasn't the only one that wanted to wake up early." As I said this, she looked at me with that emotionless face again and said "Yeah" "So, why did you want to wake up early?" I asked, desperately looking for something to talk about as she responded. "That's my business and my business alone. Now how about you answer your own question?" Just from this, I can safely assume she's not a people person. I'm guessing something happened. I decided to respond to her now. "I want to be able to get something to eat with there being chaos." "That's understandable" She responds.

We then enter the dining area and get our food. I decide to sit across from Annie. "So, got any friends?" I asked in curiosity. She doesn't respond, so that either is saying that she has none, or she just doesn't want to respond. After a few minutes of eating, the other guys and girls walk in. "Wow, here already, Luke?" Reiner says as he sits down next to me with Bertholdt. "Yup, easier to get something to eat when you're earlier." As I say this, I gesture at a brown haired girl that is practically inhaling her food. Reiner and Bertholdt laugh at that.

After a few minutes, we're called to the training field. We all are now lined up, ready for the Commandant to address us. I hear the same girl from earlier eating something. Eventually, after addressing the others, he comes over to me. "And who might you be?!" He yelled as I responded. "Sir! Luke Rashira from the Trost District, Sir! I aim to join the Scouting Regiment and protect the people from titans!" I said with determination, awaiting his answer. "Well, you look to be the perfect idiot! You wouldn't last long at all out there!"

Later, Armin, Eren, Marco, Connie, Mina, and I would be looking out at Sasha running like the Commandant told her to for eating a potato while he was addressing Connie. "I almost thought he was gonna kill potato girl" Connie said. "Yeah, one hell of a first day. It's funny, being told to run to the sunset didn't seem to bother her nearly as much as losing meal privileges for the next five days" Eren responded as I nod in agreement. "I think she said she's from Dauper, if I remember right, that's a small hunting village up in the mountains" Connie said. I then looked at a carriage being carried out by horses. "Hey, what's that?" Eren asks as I respond. "Dropouts" Then Mina adds onto what I was saying "They prefer to work in the fields" she says as Armin begins speaking "But....it's only the first day..." Eren then starts speaking "That's the way it is, if you can handle the pressure, you gotta leave. I can't believe some people would rather pull plants than fight" Then Marco speaks up "I know about some of us, but you never mentioned where you were from, Eren." Eren then responds "The same as Armin, from Shinganshina" We all stared at him in disbelief as we heard that. "Oh wow, that means..." "...you saw it, you were there that day" Marco began as Connie finish for him. "Quiet!" "The Colossal one, did you see him?" Eren then answered "Yeah, yeah I did...."

We all sat around a table listening to Eren talk about his experience. Some people asked questions about it, whereas I stayed silent. So he experienced the attack 5 years ago from the Armored Titan and the Colossal Titan....it must've been tough. All of a sudden, Eren dropped his spoon, someone must've brought back a memory with their question. Marco then spoke up. "Come on, that's enough questions, alright? I'm sure he'd rather not relive everything he went through" "Sorry, we didn't mean t-" "It's not like that!" He took a bite of food. "Those stupid titans, they're not that big a deal. If we focus on mastering the omnidirectional mobility gear they give us, it's titan payback time. I've waited years to be trained as a soldier. All of a sudden, the reality is sinking in. I'm joining the Scout Regiment, then I'm sending the titans back to hell! I'm gonna butcher them all-" "Hey" Jean interrupted "Hey, are you crazy or something? Not that it's my business, but signing up for reconnaissance is like a death sentence." "I guess we'll see...or at least I will. You seem content hiding in the interior with the MPs." I listen to them arguing, wonder where this is going. They were about to fight, when a bell rang. "Hey, I apologize, sorry for calling you names and dismissing your choice of career. Put'er there, kid, what'd ya say?" Jean says as he reaches his hand out. "Right, yeah, I'm sorry as well." Eren says as he slaps his hand away as he walks back to the cabin with who I assume is the Mikasa person Eren and Armin told me about following behind. Jean then attempts to flirt with her, but utterly fails as I chuckle. He then goes out after her and stops and looks to the right. Well, things are getting interesting...