chapter 12: A Mother's Intuition

Start from the beginning

"Constance," Cosette said. She looked at Constance rather genuinely. "Please, be careful. I don't think I could lose a best friend like you."

Constance was angry at first but she just pats her hand rather gently and went over to the brothel. Just hopefully, she would make it to the baby on time.

Meanwhile not so far from where Aramis, Cosette and Agnes were hiding, Porthos and Athos followed Marie into deeper parts of the city and where thieves and cutthroats were. It was even worse than the court of miracles. It was no coincidence that she, of all people, would walk this early in the morning. They knew something was up when they saw her strolling down the street. Back with Cosette and Aramis, Agnes easily recognized that woman, but Aramis truly knew who she was. As soon as Athos and Porthos found their way, Porthos saw Cosette, Aramis and Agnes. Porthos' touched Athos shoulder and gestured towards their brother and unknown sister's direction. They walked over from behind, with Athos patting Cosette's shoulder. The young woman flinched, about to smack whoever touched her.

"Calm down, D'Art, it's just us," Athos said. Cosette looked at him incredulously.

"You're lucky I didn't reach for my pistol, Athos," was all she responded with, raising an eyebrow and Aramis and Agnes looking behind to see Athos and Porthos there.

"Nice of you to join us," said Aramis sarcastically

"Well, it was fancy meeting you here," said Porthos in equal sarcasm. "We were just following that woman."

Was that who I think it was? Marie de Medici."

"You mean King Louis's mother?" Cosette asked

"yes," said Porthos. "We've followed her here from the Palace."

"Don't be ridiculous." Said Agnes. " That's just Philippe's mother!"

"Are you certain that's the woman who came to visit your husband?"

"Yes!" Agnes cried.

The Musketeers began wondering, what was this old woman planning? And who was Philippe? Agnes had to explain that Philippe was the name of her husband and the father of her child. She revealed that his mother visited (in secret because she was ashamed of her son's deformity.) Now, they were more certain that Agnes' husband was Louis' brother in some way. Cosette was getting those weird feelings that King Louis's mother was planning something bad. That meant that Henry had a legal claim to the throne and Marie would in fact raise him in her own ordeals.

The baby and Constance's safety were their top priorities. They watched Marie and Vincent leave, as Aramis pointed his pistol at the duo, but he froze when he saw that they still hadn't taken the baby. They decided to make their move. To get inside the house, Athos and Porthos knocked on the door. The leader of the assault on Agnes (who was asked to stay behind) and Henry opened the door. In that case, the group killed the men and walked all the way upstairs, where they saw a card game going on. Athos took the man's hand and took a card.

"He folds," was his only response before Athos took his fist and punched the man in the face. Cosette, Aramis and Porthos joined in on the fight, their swords drawn and their smiles broad on their faces. Or rather, Porthos, who took pleasure in smiling at his opponents before confronting them. When no one was looking, Cosette rushed to look for Constance. Aramis joined her and they rushed to the room Constance and Henry were in. Of course, they didn't mean to interrupt her breastfeeding.

"Do you Musketeers ever knock?" Constance snapped. She pointedly said it towards Aramis mostly because Cosette was a girl.

"Apologies," said Aramis, Cosette nodded as well.

"Our bad," Cosette added.

Constance rolled her eyes and buttoned her bodice back up.

"Take him!" Constance handed the baby to Cosette, who was very careful with him. She had held her infant niece, so she was used to this. Cosette's motherly touch struck a cord with Constance. She was surprised that a fifteen-year-old could have a mother touch.

"Hello," Cosette said. "So, you're the one who all the fuss is about?"

"He's crying," Aramis said.

"I can see that," snapped Cosette.

"Sing. He likes that," said Constance. Cosette looked towards the baby and she sung a lullaby that her mother would sing to her and her sisters every night she went to bed and bounced her up and down. Aramis was actually standing in shock.

"Father tuition, huh, D'Art?" Aramis asked her. Cosette nodded. It was rather a motherly tuition. Luckily, the baby was now peaceful and quiet. Holding Henry made Cosette wish she had children, but now, she saw that there was no way for her to be a mother because she was a Musketeer trainee. And for the first time in Cosette's life, did she ever regret disguising herself as a man. Her thoughts were ruined when the mercenaries came into the room.

"You, hand that baby over!" the leader shouted. Cosette hugged the baby rather protectively. Aramis came in to protect the young woman and the baby. He took his sword.

"D'Artagnan, run!" shouted Aramis. "Take Henry and get out of here!"

Immediately, Cosette ran for the door, rushing straight towards Athos and Porthos.

"Go, we'll hold them off," said Athos.

"I know what I'm doing!" Cosette shouted. She rushed all the way out and quickly she headed all the way up to Agnes.

"Henry!" Agnes shouted. Cosette smiled, gently handling the baby up to the woman. She smiled as mother and son were reunited.

"Thank you, Mademoiselle d'Artagnan," Agnes said.

Cosette stopped in her tracks. Was this a recurring thing? Other people other than her brothers figuring out who she was.

"You're welcome, but I got to say," said Cosette. "But its best you don't tell on me. They've got no idea."

"Yes," said Agnes.

At least five minutes later, the group was all running out the door. And sooner or later, they rushed all the way up into the Musketeers Garrison.