Chapter 13: A Woman's Secrets

Comenzar desde el principio

"I knew you were planning something," Cosette said.

"D'Artagnan, listen," Aramis asked.

"As I was saying, I knew you were planning something, but unfortunately, you were already gone when I came by," Cosette answered. She knew he was heading to the harbor and gestured for them to leave. Agnes smiled, and she grasped onto Cosette's hand.

"Good luck, d'Artagnan," Agnes said. Cosette nodded when she understood what the woman was implying and allowed them to escape. Of course, fifteen minutes later, she saw Athos and Porthos coming towards her. Quickly, she told them that they needed to get down to the docks and help Aramis before he got himself, Agnes and Henry in trouble. The trio rushed all the way down to the docks, confronting both the man and young woman.

"Good afternoon," said Porthos. Cosette tried avoiding Aramis and Agnes' looks towards her. She just shrugged her shoulder.

"Excuse us, Madame," Athos said.

"I won't come back. I'm not handing them over to the Cardinal."

"And I won't either," Cosette said. She didn't care what Athos and Porthos were thinking. Cosette stood next to Agnes and Aramis. "They've all suffered enough."

"Aramis, d'Artagnan, that baby is the heir to the throne," said Athos. "They could charge you with treason."

"I made her a promise," said Aramis.

"Then we'd better help you," said Athos. They looked at them confused.

"You didn't really think we were going to take the baby, did you?"

"If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly," said Athos, looking pointedly at Cosette.

"Yes, sorry. No, no, let's keep it suicidal." said Porthos. Cosette looked at Aramis.

"So much for not getting involved," Cosette muttered to Aramis, smiling charmingly. "That's what you said. How's that working out for us?"

Aramis just shrugged his shoulders.

Things got very complicated when they looked and saw that Queen Marie's bodyguard was there, and his men were blocking the bridge. It also didn't help that the man that Aramis bribed had accepted the soldier's much larger investment. Their resolution? It was to throw barrels of brandy. At first, Aramis thought Athos wanted to drink it. However, the man made it clear via his expressions that was not what Athos meant. They threw them as they heaved them. Cosette tried to get it but they were too heavy for her. Porthos rolled his eyes as he took the next barrel and threw it for her.

"Sorry, slippery hands today," Cosette answered.

As the battle raged on, Agnes and Cosette looked in enough time to watch Aramis drop the "baby" into the water. Henry was, in truth, left with the other three Musketeers. Cosette felt Agnes scream hurt her ears and she could feel the pain of losing someone that close to her

The whole way out of the village, she heard Agnes shouting at Aramis for losing her child. The Musketeers gave Henry to Constance who continued to take care of the baby. After Marie de Medici was taken care of, they met her off the crossroads, giving Henry back to his own mother. They walked away from the Musketeers and Constance looked rather sadden. Cosette smiled at her friend. Constance never wanted to let the baby go. They turned around and headed for Paris.

A few days later, Cosette was ordered by Treville to report to his office. In truth, she was worried what was going on. Of course, she trusted that Agnes wasn't one to tell on her. Cosette just looked to Athos, Porthos and Aramis as they sat for breakfast. Athos said nothing but told her to follow up with his head. He pats her on the shoulder before she went up. Cosette smiled and went all the way back up to She feared that something bad was going to happen. Maybe Agnes was right. Maybe they'd get to know her rather than look at her appearance.

"Captain Treville," Cosette spoke. He looked at her, putting his pen down.

"I see you've been distracted as of late, d'Artagnan," Treville said. Cosette nodded. "Your father was murdered in front of you..."

"Actually, he died in front of me," Cosette said. She watched him look at her. she quickly added "Sir," but he still looked at her as if she grew a second head.

Treville continued.

"I know you've been distracted as of late, your father's murder, Athos nearly dying in a fiery building and Porthos nearly facing the hangman's noose, and that Agnes woman and her child."

"And your current situation." Treville said. "Cosette."

Cosette stood there at a loss for words. Did he just say her name?"

"I..." Cosette began. but she didn't have any clue of what to say. "How did you know?"

Treville looked to her.

"I've known Cosette," said Treville. He stood up and looked at her pointedly. "I've always known."

"And yet, you've done nothing to tell anyone." said Cosette.

"Because, with you here, I can keep an eye on you," said Treville. "Your sisters told me to look after you and that is what I intend to do." He looked at Cosette with another question. ""Do Athos, Porthos or Aramis know?" Treville asked. Cosette shook her head.

"They have no clue," Cosette answered. "And I don't intend to keep this a secret from them long. Aramis and Porthos will understand but Athos…" She shook her head, remembering the last woman who betrayed him. She said it without further words.

"Will that be all, Captain Treville?" Cosette asked.

Treville looked to her and nodded. She walked all the way down the stairs, not waiting to hear him talk to her.

This was disastrous. Two people in three days figured out who she was. What was she to do now?