My shoulders hunched slightly in defense. “Chase is as messed up as I am, dad,” I said quietly. “He knows what to ask and when to stay quiet. I never feel any pressure from him to be someone I’m not anymore.”

            My dad regarded me in silence for a moment. “I think I get it,” he replied slowly. “It also probably helps that he never knew Luke, doesn’t it?”

            That made me stop and think. Was that true? Was part of the reason I was so drawn to Chase because he hadn’t known my brother? “I don’t know,” I started hesitantly. “I never thought about it like that. When I met Chase, I felt something besides emptiness for the first time since the accident. Luke took half of me when he left, and I’ll never get that part of me back. But being around Chase somehow makes it more bearable. I don’t know how to explain it any better than that.”

            “You don’t have to.” He patted my hands and then stood up. “I don’t like the idea of you riding alone at night, but I’m not going to try and stop you. Frankly, I’m glad that you’re at least going out there, even if it was without us knowing. At least now that I know I can wait up to hear when you come back in at night. That way I’ll know you’re safe.”

            I gave him a small grateful smile. “Thanks dad.” I got to my feet and surprised him by moving around the table and hugging him. “I’m glad we had this talk. And when I’m ready to share my riding with you, I’ll let you know.”

            His arms wrapped around me as he returned the hug. “I’d appreciate that. Please try and be careful.”

            “I will be,” I promised.

            The next day, Chase surprised me by inviting me over to his place. It was the last thing I’d expected him to do, but I was happy to agree. Maybe meeting his foster parents would give me a little insight on him.

            He picked me up from my place and drove into town. He pulled into the driveway of a large two story house and parked behind a muscular looking truck. He seemed a little tense as we walked up to the front door, but he didn’t say anything until we were about to go in. “I’ve never brought anyone home before,” he mumbled. “I don’t know what their reaction will be.”

            I was suddenly nervous and I took a small step back. “I don’t have to come in.”

            He took my hand and tugged me forward until I was pressed lightly against his side. “I want you to meet them. They’ll be nice to you; I think they’ll just be shocked at first.”

            I blew out a breath and nodded my head. “Okay, let’s go in.”

            He opened the door and we went inside. He took my coat from me and hung it up in the front closet before shrugging out of his own and doing the same. Then, taking my hand once more, he led me further into the house. I looked around at everything with interest as we went past a few different rooms. I remembered Chase’s comment about how his foster parents had a lot of money, and now I could see what he’d meant.