A Warm Place for Willy

"I have to kill Willy."

"I told you, we're not having this conversation again."

"That was different. That was, 'I want to kill Willy.' Now it's changed; the motive has evolved from a desire to an impulse. I realize now that I'll never be okay again as long as he is around, that he's going to keep getting bigger, angrier, more difficult to control, and he's going to hurt someone, and during the whole process leading up to that inevitable tragedy, I'll be losing my sanity ever so gradually, each day both of us becoming more and more unhinged in our own ways, and not because of me or you; not because of anyone but him. It's all him. People are going to get hurt, possibly killed, all because we aren't allowed to do what should be a natural right and eradicate that useless creature from this planet."

"How can you speak that way about your own son?"

"Because I care about people enough to admit my own mistake; I never should have brought that dangerous thing into this world; he upsets the natural balance wherever he goes, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to restore order, to erase my mistake."

"I told you when this first started that we should've got an abortion."

"How was I supposed to know? How was I supposed to know that's what was growing inside of you?"

"Well now it's too late. There's nothing we can do now."

"We can make it look like an accident; everyone will be so grateful he's gone that they'll have no compunction about accepting whatever story we feed them."

"You don't know that. You're talking nonsense. What you're saying will only get us in more trouble. You think living in prison will be better than living with Willy?"

"I'm willing to take the chance if it means restoring the order I upset."

"I'm done with this conversation. Goodnight."

"Lust truly is a terrible sin, and this the punishment for my indulgence."

"Good. Accept it and get on."

"I feel as though God has personified in Willy the horrible nature of my transgressions, and that the only way to expiate Him is to sacrifice that sinful product, to follow His command without question like Abraham did.

"He hurt that little girl. Who knows what he would've done if I wasn't there to stop him.

"That's when I should've killed him; that was the first sign."

"If you're not going to stop, I'm going to sleep in the guest bedroom."

"Go then. Keep hiding from the holy truth, because I'm not going to stop until this is rectified. I will not live in this misery of sin, this disease of domestic discomfort. Willy has to die so that we can live."

"Goodnight."

She makes leave of the bed and exits the room.

"He has no purpose, no purpose but to test our faith, to see how far we're willing to go to restore God's order."

"Good morning, Willy."

Willy knocks over his cereal bowl and screams incoherently at the cowering dog.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Blue house," Willy answers. "Green door. Warm place. Water slide."

"Dreams are a funny thing, aren't they Willy?

"Want purple popsicle."

"I'm sorry, Willy, but there are no more purple popsicles left. I told you to slow down, but you went ahead and ate the whole box yesterday."