I backed away and analyzed the floor in the harsh light while John went back to the girl’s body resting on the table. 

“Looks good,” I called out.  “You can’t see much.  Footprints cover it.”

John rushed back.  “She’s starting to move her head and eyelids.”

“Listen to me John.”

“Yes?”

“Remember you said that UpMove would not let me go with them?  They don’t know me, and even if they did they would never trust me.”

“Of course,” said John.

“But they know you.  They trust you.”  I was opening up my larger back membrane as I talked, feeling around for two particular objects.

“Sure.  I suppose so.”

“Would it be inconceivable that you would join them?”

“Join them?  You mean burrow up into Torso?”

“Yes.”

He laughed.  “No, Anon.  There is no way I would ever do that-”

“I’m not asking if you would do it.  I’m asking you hypothetically, if you wanted to do it – if you were adamant that you went with her into Torso – what would they say?  Would they allow you to go?”

John looked at me for a moment with a confused look upon his face.  “I don’t know.  It’s never come up before.”

     “When she wakes up, she’s going to be confused, right?  You said it yourself - you are the only person she knows.  You saved her life, and therefore she will trust you and go wherever you take her.  But them?”  I was pointing up at the vaulted ceiling.  “UpMove?  She will never go willingly with them, will she?  The agents coming here right now.  What the hell does she know about them?  She won’t trust them.”

     “I don’t know what she thinks, Anon.  I never even spoke with her—“

     “All I am saying is that it makes sense for you to go with her.  They will think it makes sense too.  Do you agree?  Be honest with me – it’s important.”

     His gaze was directed up in thought momentarily before meeting my eyes.  “Fine, I agree.  But I am telling you, I am not burrowing into Torso, Anon.  You and I both know that you are the one that needs to go, not me.  My place is here, Anon.  My congregation needs me.  But that aside, I agree with you.  Hypothetically you are correct.  I should go.”

     “Good,” I said, withdrawing one of the two small objects from my back membrane.  “Because in a strange way, you are going.”  Holding a perfectly matte white egg up in plain sight between my thumb and index finger, I asked him, “Do you know what this is?”

     “It’s an egg.”

     “It’s a skinning egg,” I replied.  “Do you know what skinning is?”

     John was nodding slowly, a cautious look upon his face.  “I think so.  You’re able to look like me, is that it?”

     “Exactly.  Now John, I need you to stand exactly where you are, alright?”  As I spoke and before I knew he would resist, I quickly took the white egg and while holding it directly over my head, cracked it open.

     Immediately a cream-like fluid started to spread around the top of my head, cascading over the sides and continuing down my neck.  Wherever the fluid went a shiver passed, but then I could not feel its presence anymore.