Seeing

Super!verse. TW: death and needles.

Even though Lance knew that Amari wasn't actually seeing anything, the look that had covered his partner's face so completely was one of sight and understanding.

"Lance," they said, reaching out, finding Lance's cheek and cradling it in their palm, "it's beautiful. You're beautiful. I can see you now, your eyes and your smile."

The words burned a hole in his gut, but he held off a flinch. "What do you mean? You've seen me in visions loads of times."

"Not like this." Amari's eyes looked like pale blue stars. "I see you. As you are now. I see you moving. God, Lance, I can see."

Even though their eyes were full of rapture, Lance could see the pain. They both knew that Amari's head would split open from the visions if they went on too long. And yet, Lance couldn't bring himself to snap his partner out of it. Amari was so happy, the happiest they'd been in a long time.

He gripped the needle that was stuffed in his pocket, filled with orange solution. He couldn't. He never would.

Amari's lips found his, with perfect aim and confidence that they had never possessed before. Lance felt a tremor go through them, like they knew it would be their last kiss.

"Don't you see?" Lance asked into the kiss, tasting the salt of his tears. "Don't you see what I have to do?"

Amari nodded, still kissing him. "I know, Lance. I know. And I won't stop you."

He didn't even try to stem the flow of tears. He shook, sobbing, not even caring about the mess he was making of himself. Amari trembled with him, the only testament to their fear.

"It hurts," they whispered. "It hurts, Lance. You have to do it now."

It was like his hand was moving of its own accord. Take the needle out, pull off the cap, press it into Amari's arm.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm so sorry."

As his thumb pushed the plunger, Amari looked him straight in the eye and said with utter conviction, "I love you, Lance."

Lance didn't even have time to process the words before the light left their eyes.