• Chapter Twelve •

"I don't believe we have been properly introduced."

Rhaella turned her head toward the voice, "I did not think we needed to be." She replied. "Your hunger for the seven kingdoms makes us enemies."

"I only want what has rightfully been mine. It is the only goal I've ever known."

"Mine was simply to survive." Rhaella murmured.

"You have achieved that, I hear." Daenerys stood beside her, hands clasped together in front of her. "As have I. I am told we are no different. Both women of great power-"

"Of the same blood." She look at Daenerys. "Have they told you that? Your men that council you? Have they told you I was their first choice? That when you were across the sea, they were here whispering in my ear? Or how easy it is for me to rise up and take the Iron Throne? No," Rhaella said, "they did not. You would not be here if they had."

"I am here for Jon."

"Yes, I am sure of it." She said as Daenerys turned toward her. "He would do anything to bring about peace. But women in power do not know peace. We despise the very idea of equals."

"We despise the very idea of competition." Daenerys challenged.

"Indeed," Rhaella agreed. "I very much do."

"You love him."

She pursed her lips, "Nothing has changed that."

"And he loves you," she had spoken very quietly, startling Rhaella. "I admit, I have been foolish myself, but I am no fool when it comes to a man in love and he is very much in love with you."

"And yet he bends his knee to you." Rhaella left it at that. She turned, leaving Daenerys standing alone staring after her.

• r •

There were few places to find him now

There were few places to find him now. If he was not staring at a map, he was now down in the crypts. And on the night that would be their last, that is where she found him.

"I wonder what about her persuaded him to end his previous marriage and rip apart a kingdom?"

Jon turned to her, "Did you ever ask Robb that question?" He asked.

"No," she replied, standing beside him "Robb didn't start his war for me. He did it for his family and the North."

"What of your family? You said you were their hope. Why?"

"My father, a man I remember being the most loving man from my girlhood, turned against his own family." She said, looking at him. "Imagine betraying your brother, sleeping with your sister, and then on top of it all, out living them? You're not the first Stark to have Targaryen blood in your veins. We're practically cousins."

"I'd have a hard time believing this-"

"If you didn't find out you were one too?" She smiled. "Robert Baratheon was only a puppet for Tywin Lannister. That much I did learn. And, why my father betrayed his brother. Your father had a few suitors. My sister Sofera, Cersei... but all turned away for a Dornish girl. That didn't sit well. Did it?"

"I can't imagine it would." He replied.

Rhaella drew closer, her gaze fixed on Lyanna's statue. "My father had always envied the Mad King. First, he was king," she said. "Secondly he had the most beautiful women in Westeros, this is all according to Rayne. According to everyone else, my mother was a beauty herself."

"I believe I know where this is going." He said.

"Indeed," she nodded, "Rayne is your Queen's bastard sister. And Mystic and Sia are your's."

Rhaella had slipped her arm through his and rested her cheek against his shoulder. Jon ran his hand along her's, squeezing it gently for a moment.

"I was wondering it too," he then said, "before you came in."

"Seven Kingdoms, a wife already of his own, and he chose a Northern lady." She smiled. "For your own safety, the truth of it all was hidden from the world. Only those close to you, those who know what is true, would believe the truth."

"What is the truth?" Came a voice from their right.

Jon and Rhaella turned their heads, standing close toward the entrance was Daenerys. Her eyes fixed on Rhaella.

Rhaella pulled away from Jon, turned back to him and smiled softly. His expression read of warning, and for his sake she politely excused herself.

When they were alone, Dany turned back to Jon, her eyebrow arched.

"What is the truth?" She demanded.

•a.n•

Season 8 was just awful but the season finale redeemed itself and now I feel broken. It could also be because I now know how this will end 😭😭😭