i.

first year

"Upland, Galinda."

"Slytherin!"

Various cheers and whoops erupted from the silver and green table on the far right of the ancient hall. A petite girl with gentle golden curls and sparkling eyes let out a giggle and practically skipped over to join her fellow Slytherins. 

As she was one of the last first years to be sorted, Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore began his start of year speech before the feast. Galinda Upland felt someone's eyes boring into the back of her head, and she whipped around to look across the table and come eye to eye with the culprit.

It was that Draco Malfoy boy.

Galinda had heard all about him from her mumsy and popsicle, she had heard all of the bad things his family was capable of, but also the good things. Things like how they could raise a young boy under such scrutiny from the Wizarding World, how they could continue to grow and earn so much money, how they could keep their status after everything they'd been through. Galinda admired the Malfoy family, and wanted to get to know little Draco.

She wanted to be his friend.

He was only a bit taller than her, with slicked back platinum blonde hair and a stare that could intimidate a Howler. His uniform was pristine, without a single crease, and Galinda didn't think his tie could be done up any more perfectly. His eyes pierced into Galinda's soul, as if they were confused, or looking for something. 

And then she smiled.

Draco Malfoy's pulse began to rush, his head began to reel, and his face began to flush against the paleness of his skin. This feeling he was feeling, the one bringing a sense of frustration to his very soul, the one he could feel burning up along his every hair. This feeling had a name. And that, was loathing.

His glare intensified, and he quickly turned to face Dumbledore once more.

What did this Galinda Upland girl think she was doing? Waltzing into his school looking like that and thinking she could have more friends than him? Pretty or not, Draco was not about to lose this popularity competition to some girl. He was sure he had heard something from his father about a small but rich family named the Uplands who lived in some rural area somewhere. Oz, was it? It didn't matter to Draco in the slightest whether she was rich or poor, from Slytherin origin or not. 

He was not about to let this bubbly girl win over his house.