5 | Hit From Behind

They had just finished their meal at the local restaurant - Friday being their usual date night - and were now heading back to Ali's dorm.

A sweet melody spun its threads about the couple and left them with unparalleled warmth and happiness. Their laughter filled the car and their smiles spread from ear to ear.

Smiles that were soon to fade and their expressions changed to ones of horror as the car was rammed from behind, and Seonghwa lost control of the wheel.

Ali screamed for him to hit the brakes, but no matter how much he pressed down, nothing happened. Someone had cut the brakes, and now they were crashing into the lamppost up ahead.

The front of the car caved in and Seonghwa slumped against the steering wheel. His breathing slowed, and he didn't respond to Ali's voice.

She struggled to unlock the seatbelt but it wouldn't budge, and she felt a pain in her legs. Looking down, she saw her legs were trapped under the dashboard, blood coated her lower half, and she was now struggling to stay awake herself.

Sirens blared in the distance, and they were the last thing she heard before she passed out.

A week later, she woke up in a hospital with her legs in casts. The pain of her legs was nothing compared to what her heart felt as she remembered the sight of Seonghwa slumped against the steering wheel.

"Seonghwa? Where's Seonghwa?" Her voice came out raspy.

"He's..."

When she could move around on her own, she steered her wheelchair over to Seonghwa's room. The nurses had told her he had woken up, and they allowed her to visit him.

She entered the room and was relieved to see he only had some cuts and bruises. He had fared better than her, who still had her legs in casts.

"Seonghwa, I'm so glad you're ok." Her voice startled him and he turned blank eyes in her direction.

The question he asked next would remain with her for a long time:

"Do I know you?"