The Clan erupted in cheers for the two warriors, and Mapleshine watched her son with pride, but he looked so very distant. Something in her chest shifted at the look. What are you thinking about?

***

Mapleshine was confused when she returned from hunting to find the camp bustling with activity. Carrying her rabbit to the fresh-kill pile, she dropped it, looking around in confusion for a moment before flagging down Lilywhisker. "Hey, what's going on? What did I miss?"

"Oh, Mapleshine," She murmured, "I'm so sorry. Talltail left."

Something inside her shattered. "What?"

"He left WindClan," She repeated. "He said he was leaving for good, and Heatherstar just... Let him go."

"No," She gasped. "No, no... How - how long ago did he leave?" I have to catch up! I didn't even get to say goodbye!

"Just a few moments ago," Lilywhisker responded. "Barkwing left with him."

She didn't hesitate for another moment, turning and pelting back out the way she came, gasping softly to herself as she went. She paused upon almost slamming into Barkwing, looking at him in shock while his pelt bristled.

"Where's Talltail?"

"He just crossed the border a minute ago," Barkwing replied, features softening with sympathy. "I saw him there myself."

"Take me," She breathed, and Barkwing dipped his head, leading the way at a full sprint. Finally, they drew to a stop atop the ridge, and Mapleshine heaved as she watched Talltail; he was barely more than a blurry shape in the grass, running wild and free. He looked happier than he had in moons. Even so, a part of her felt as though she'd been attacked by a badger, and she sank to her belly, choking on a sob.

You took away my first three, and now you take away my fourth?

Barkwing trailed his tail over her spine, trying to be reassuring. "It wasn't your fault," He murmured, watching her carefully. "He's been talking about going for a long time, and... Well, StarClan gave me a sign today."

Mapleshine closed her eyes, ignoring the wild notion of a warrior getting a sign from StarClan. "So everyone wanted him to leave after all?"

"No," Barkwing snorted. "You should have seen the fuss everyone kicked up over his leave. Even Shrewclaw was sad. And, you and I are here, watching him go. That must count for something."

She lifted her head, opening her eyes again. Talltail had disappeared. She picked herself up, taking a deep breath and looking to Barkwing with a faint smile. "Have I ever told you that you'd make a good medicine cat?" Everything about him - even his posture - reminded her of Larkwing. He chuckled, giving his chest a few licks.

"Actually, I was going to ask Heatherstar if she could apprentice me to Hawkheart when we got back to camp."

"Well! What are we waiting for, then?" She put forth a grin, swallowing her grief and standing up to walk home with Barkwing. Talltail had made his choice; at least she could rest knowing he was still alive, and happy. Until then, she had a Clan to tend to.

The tunnel snagged on her pelt when she re-entered, and she sighed happily as she gazed across the camp. Palebird and Lilywhisker talked calmly together; Palebird's belly was swollen, and it wouldn't be long now before their kits arrived. Barkwing steered away to pick at some fresh-kill, and Mapleshine stretched. Everything is well.

"Mapleshine!"

She perked up at Heatherstar's meow, sauntering over quickly to meet her with full attention.