chapter five

CHAPTER FIVE
home sweet prison cells.

...

As they ducked into the dark hallways, Lucky yawned. The sound caused Leon to jump, then turn a glare to her.

"Sorry. Haven't slept much." She whispered with a sly smirk. Lucky shovelled through her pouches until she remembered the fate of her flashlight. It was probably still in that art room with the licker, casting long arcs of light over the walls. Not in her hands. "There's gotta be a breaker or... something. These lights have gotta come on." She sighed. Her voice echoed through the halls and a shudder coursed through her body as she thought of all the grotesque beasts that could be hiding in the shadows.

"Afraid of the dark, Agent Davey?" He brushed her shoulder with his, grinning.

Lucky offered him an unsure smile. "I mean, you should know by now that I'm less than professional. Not exactly the most stoic person you'll meet." She moved behind him, since he had the only light in that hallway.

They trudged along, sticking close to the wall. When they reached the first corner, Lucky swallowed her fear as Leon turned into it first, shining his flashlight all along the walls and ceiling. It was empty, and she could see that it turned into another hall a few metres down.

The clip-clops of their shoes on the floor seemed to ring for miles and Lucky found herself holding her breath as they came up to the next corner. Shudders ran through her limbs and to the tips of her fingers and, with a sharp breath, she watched Leon poke his head around the corner.

She crept up behind him and saw that there was nothing but a closed door and a dead body hunched against the barricade between the rest of the hall and them.

"Ah, shit. We're good." Lucky let out a very long, very shaky breath and sent an anxious glance to Leon. With his own anxious look, he reached out to the door, grabbed the doorknob and, after Lucky scrambled for her pistols, he shoved the door open.

Nothing jumped out. They moved forward.

Animal crates lined parts of the walls, but most were empty. They quietly stepped into the room and Lucky caught the door before it slammed shut. She shut it quietly, instead.

They moved to the centre of the room, quickly sorting through the items left around. Lucky found one of the green plants that Leon had used on her leg, and she put what she could fit into one of her pouches.

"Hey, take a look at thi--"

Leon was cut off by loud barking coming from behind them. It was animalistic barking, bloodthirsty and dangerous. Lucky spun and stumbled backwards-- into a stack of the crates. Her back came into hard contact with them and she sent the large crates scattering on the floor. All the noise made her nerves skyrocket.

Leon let out a few rounds from his shotgun and the barking died away.

"Holy fuck. Oh... good god." Lucky leaned on her knees, steadying her breathing. "Those dogs... that's just, ugh... shit." She closed her eyes for a moment, then straightened and stalked forward like nothing had happened. She had to get a hold of herself if they were ever going to make it through this... she had to stop being so scared.