Chapter Six

"Is Mister Steve coming back today?" Peter asks, wide-eyed innocence never faltering.

Tony grins, scooping the kid into his lap and muting the television.

"Yep. He's going to be over while you're at school, kiddie," Tony tells him. "He has to go to work before you get back though, so you probably won't see Steve today."

It's been six months of their relationship and things have been going fantastically. Steve comes over almost everyday since Tony's been able to quit his job at the grocery store. Stark Industries has been picking up traction and bringing in some money with his inventions and his mechanic company has started getting busier as well.

"Okay! He's still coming on Saturday for movie night?" Peter asks, wriggling out of Tony's grip when Rhodey walks in, carrying his little backpack.

"Yep. He's bringing popcorn. Have fun at school, kiddie," Tony says, pressing a chaste kiss to his kid's forehead with a smile. "We have a meeting with Miss Cat on Saturday morning to work out some plans for your Gifted Program, make sure to remind her."

Peter nods quickly, hugging his dad and then grabbing his dinosaur backpack from Rhodey.

"Bye, Daddy!" he shouts. "Bye, Uncle Rhodey. Bye, Aunt Carol!"

And then he's gone, racing out the door to catch the bus.

"Man, he's growing up so fast," Tony sighs, unmuting the television again. "Before we know it, he'll be graduating and moving out."

Rhodey's frowning as he walks over, grabbing the glass of wine from the coffee table.

"It's eight in the morning, Tony," he scolds, slapping away Tony's grabby hands. "Go take a shower and get ready to start your day. You're not going to sit here and watch TV all day today."

"Steve's coming over," he replies like it really makes a difference.

"Good for him. You have work to do. I know our budget's been higher lately, but that doesn't mean you're allowed to slack off. Go take a shower, eat some breakfast, and there's a car waiting in the garage for you." No room for argument.

So maybe Tony's been falling apart a little bit. He wouldn't consider it a bad thing; he's just letting loose for the first time since he was sixteen. Peter's at school all day everyday, he has a wonderful boyfriend, and they're never behind on any bills or rent, with a constantly filled refrigerator. It's nice, it's relaxed, it's easy. There's no longer the stress of not having enough money or coming home to an empty apartment. No more loneliness hanging off his shoulders, no more stress dragging him down.

So what if he's started drinking more wine? So what if he's been procrastinating his work a little bit more? So what if he's been a little bit messy?

He's just trying to get back to who he used to be when he was younger.

Is that really such a bad thing?

*

"I need to talk to you guys about something," Carol says, sitting down on the couch, a grim expression plastered across her face. Something's wrong. There's a reason why Peter was sent to the grocery store with Tessa on a Thursday night.

"What's up?" Tony says, leaning back to try to hold onto his nonchalance. "Please don't tell me you're pregnant. One kid's enough."

"I have a girlfriend, Tony. I don't know how well you did in Biology, but I don't think that's how it works," she says, rolling her eyes with a smile.

It's true. Carol's girlfriend, Tessa, had been spending more time around the house as well. She's been really nice and been a good adult for Peter to hang out with. Even Tessa and Steve have been getting along well.