Chapter 7 - A Night Together

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," I stammered, realizing how strange that might have seemed.

"It's alright," he smiled. "Can I see that one?" We took the strap off his neck and handed my camera back to me. I gave him the Polaroid camera and I started taking pictures of the park. We both sat there, taking pictures of the landscape. John took to the new camera much easier. Considering it was closer to the camera he had at home. Once he would take a picture, he would lay it down on the blanket between us. Every so often, I would stop and look at the pictures he took. They were quite nice. I would look up at him as he was lining up another shot. His hair moved slightly in the wind as the sun started to set.

"The golden hour," I said. "Makes every picture look better." I smiled as I looked up at the orange and red sky. There was an old saying my father used to tell me all the time on nights like this. 'Red sky in morning, sailors take warning. Red sky at night, sailor's delight.' The sky was most certainly red and the park had a beautiful warm tone to it. I closed my eyes as I took a breath to take it all in. I heard a click of a camera to my left. I slowly came back to reality and turned to see Deacy and the camera pointed at me. I smiled at him and leaned back against my hands. "Even look better," I commented, trying to justify to myself that this was the only reason he would be taking a picture of me.

"Oh, you don't need the sunset for that. Just felt like taking a picture of you," he commented with his head down. I was blushing wildly, but he couldn't tell thanks to the orange glow on my skin. I decided to lay down on the blanket and just look up at the sky. My arms resting across my stomach as I completely relaxed into the ground. I heard another shutter sound and saw John hovering next to me with the camera pulled up to his eyes. I tilted my head over to him.

"You know, you only have so many of those. Probably don't want to waste them. You might want to shoot something you actually want pictures of," I teased.

"I am," he replied in a soft, silky tone of voice. We stayed at the park for another hour. Eventually abandoning the picture taking altogether. We both laid on the blanket and watched the sky slowly shift through different warm tones. I moved my hand off my stomach and tried to place it on the blanket next to me. But, my hand came down on his accidentally.

"Sorry," I rushed out as I returned my hand to my stomach. An embarrassing redness flushed my face.

"It's alright," he replied. Other than that, it was silent for a while. Just sitting there, taking in the beautiful sky and sunset. The silence wasn't awkward or strange, but comforting and welcomed. Almost familiar. The moment felt like a soft blanket over my life. Like this moment of silence next to John was the most relaxed I had felt in a very long time.

Then, I felt rustling next to me as John's frame came into view. He was holding himself up on his hands and turned away from me. His body seemed tense all of a sudden. I sat up as well, putting my hand in-between his shoulder blades in a confident moment of intimacy.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"A lab," he whispered.

"What?" I asked. Still not processing his words.

"We were in a science lab. That's where I was before I got transported here." His body was still tense as my eyes went wide, realizing that he was remembering more of what happened to him.

"Oh my god," I whispered. "Anything else?" He clenched his eyes closed, trying to remember. "Don't force yourself. It's okay," I cooed. Putting my hand on his arm. I don't know why I suddenly felt so comfortable touching him. But, I was so relaxed that it felt natural, so I didn't fight the urge. There was another small silence. His eyes shot open as he blinked a couple of times.