Chapter 1

It was the perfect weather out on the beach in mid-June. The sun was beaming down on my pale, freckled skin, making me wish that it could even tan. The sand between my toes tickled as the cold water hit them softly. I closed my eyes, wishing every day would be like this.

With my green eyes still closed, I laid back onto my soft towel. I had almost started to drift off to the sound of the waves crashing when I heard my name being called in the distance. I decided to ignore it, thinking it was a bird chirping or something. I mean, who would know me out here in Hawaii?

"Clary!" I heard again, more clearly this time.

My eyes snapped open and, boy, was I surprised at what I saw. There, right in front of my eyes, was a unicorn. It was white and beautiful, with amazing, blue eyes. The weirdest part was that I didn't find this weird at all.

"Clary! Wake up!" It said, louder this time.

It's voice almost sounded just like my best friend, Simon's voice. Then it spoke again.

"CLARISSA ADELE FAIRCHILD IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR ASS UP IN FIVE SECONDS I WILL TAKE YOUR SCETCH BOOK!"

My eyes snapped open and I was in my bedroom. I looked around, trying to get my eyes to focus. As soon as they did, the first thing I saw was Simon. He was looking at me like I was crazy.

"God, Clary," he said, "you sleep like a rock."

I laughed as Simon hit me with a pillow. "I just had the weirdest dream," I told him. "I was in Hawaii on the beach and there was this unicorn an-"

Simon cut me off. "Tell me about your dream later. Right now if you don't get up we're gonna be late for school!"

Sure enough, when I looked over at my clock on my bedside table it said 8:15. School starts in fifteen minutes! I shot out of bed and rushed to get ready for the first day of school.