Wait, not yet.

He pulls back, looking me in the eyes. His voice now distant, like he's far away despite his close proximity as he says again with a small, knowing smile, "Wake up..." 

"Wake up!" Angie yells, ripping the blankets off of me as I jolt up in bed. "We're late!" she adds before storming out of my room.

Disoriented, I sit and look around me. I'm in my apartment. My bed room. My bed. Just like I was moments ago...but now I'm alone. And Marshall is gone. 

I throw myself back into bed, grabbing a pillow and covering my face with it.

It was just another dream.

But damn, did it feel so real.

<><><><><>

Later in the car, I distract myself with music to keep my mind off what happened this morning. Angie, oblivious to my dream, is too preoccupied for the moment anyways finding her boarding pass to Milan to notice anything is amiss with me. Her flight is in an hour, but we're making good time to the airport that she'll make it in plenty of time- as long as there's no traffic.

I'm so nervous Angie will see right through me, read my mind as if my dream is being projected for all to see. But there is no way she'd know, not unless we talk about it. And luckily with Angie, there is no reason for her to just bring up Marshall.

"It's Marshall." Angie states beside me.

"Huh? What?" I glance over at her quickly, not wanting to take my eyes off the road for too long.

"Your phone?" She says, her tone indicating that it was obvious. In her hand is my phone, buzzing with an incoming call, "Marshall is calling."

"Oh, uh." I take my phone from her and hit 'ignore', sliding it into my pocket, "I'll call him back later."

Angie is quiet a moment. But only a moment.

"Since when are you two phone buddies?" she asks, "You never mentioned that."

I keep my eyes focused on the road ahead of me. Though I told Angie everything about the night of the VMA's- she was more accepting than I thought she'd be when I told her, glad to hear it was all a misunderstanding but still said something about Marshall being an idiot- I haven't mentioned anything about our recent contact. I'm not trying to hide anything from Angie. I just...don't know what to think about it all myself without anyone else's input involved- good or bad.

"It's nothing," I roll my eyes, "We just talk every once in a while. I told you, we're friends."

"Mhmm." she replies, her tone suggestioning she's holding back what she really wants to say.

When I pull up to a red light I look over at her, "What?"

"Me and you. We're friends. You and Marshall are something different. And I don't know 'bout you but- as hot as you are girl I've never once thought about kissing you. I know you can't say the same about rapper boy."

The red light turns to green and I drive on, ignoring her question. I want to argue more; go into detail about how Marshall and I are nothing but friends, and tell her she is wrong. But I know there is nothing I can do to convince her. Because I do have feelings for Marshall that are more than friendly. There's no point in lying about that, not to my best friend who can see right through me. And if there's anyone I can trust to talk about this with, it's her.

And so I come clean with what's on my mind and blurt out, "I had a sex dream about Marshall."

"What!?" Angie shrieks, a huge smile on her face, "When?"