Chapter IV - Peeping and Eavesdropping - Part II (Revised)

Start from the beginning

With that, the Eighth Bei'Le and Ruo Lan walked the different directions.

I stifled a sob as I stared at their backs. What exactly had happened between them? Did they lose a child before? What had caused the child's death? What incident would cause Ruo Lan, who was so complacent, to turn her back with immense enmity? How could I help them?

Sitting forlornly on the grassland, I recited a poem that came abruptly to my mind.

I plant my feet here, not daring to walk further;

In hope that my pretention will curb my despair.

It pains me to read the farewell in your letter;

I don't want to yield but I have to surrender.

We have often hurried past the paths of our lives;

Embracing fictional desires that are surreal.

There are lots of sceneries we failed to admire;

Which includes the magnificent blooming flower.

I will no longer chase after the glorious rainbow;

I won't pursue the Heaven we promised before.

I will not believe the vow for eternal life;

As I know there will never be forever.

Applause rang before my voice trailed away. Die Hard Thirteen approached me. "Why do you look so melancholy? Does seeing Tenth Brother make your heart cry so badly?"

"How about you? Didn't you feel the same when seeing Gorolo Ming Yu with him?"

A look of realization stole across his face. "Ah, so you think that I love Gorolo Ming Yu?"

"You don't?" I cocked an eyebrow. "Then why did you look you so desolate that day?"

"That day... was Mother's death day. It hurt me when I saw Father laughing so jubilantly at the wedding. I guess he does not even remember it after all."

"Then we are even. I don't love the Tenth Prince. I was just feeling depressed as he had to sacrifice his freedom for the marriage, but I'm fine now."

Die Hard Thirteen smiled. I had never seen him smile in such a relieved way.

He suggested that we should go drinking again to toast for our friendship and I agreed without a second thought. When I returned to the Eighth Bei'Le's house, I saw Ruo Lan reclining on her lounge, overlooking the horse picture. She didn't even reprimand me for coming home late.

I crept up to her. "Sister, you always look at the man in the picture. Do you know him?"

A pensive look spread across her face. "The General was the one who had taught me the horse riding skills. We would be together if the Eighth Bei'Le did not ask the emperor to bestow me to him. Not long after our marriage, I was pregnant, but I also received some crestfallen news about the Eighth Bei'Le sending his men to Father, suggesting Father to place the General in a war. He-- He did not make it. I mourned for his death until I had a miscarriage."

Ruo Lan didn't look at me when she finished her tale. With a distant expression, she walked to the meditation chamber. I had a troubled sleep that night, knowing that Ruo Lan would never forgive the Eighth Bei'Le and she would never look at him with her heart.

The next morning, when I was drawing the animated version of a horse, the Eighth Bei'Le's herald asked me to follow him to see his Master. Damn it! Is he going to scold me for drinking with Die Hard Thirteen again? The Eighth Bei'Le had his back to me when I entered his study. Slowly, he turned around. I couldn't find the warmth in his smile or in his voice.

"Tell me, where were you yesterday night?"

I tugged my head to my chest as I relayed the incident.

"Come closer," the prince demanded me after hearing the truth.

I took two ginger steps forward and halted.

The prince let loose a smile and approached me. "Why are you so scared of me?"

Without any word of warning, he grabbed my left hand. I retreated but he gripped on it tighter. Then, he slipped a Red Jade bangle down my wrist.

"Ruo Lan was only fifteen when I saw her. I was assigned to handle some affairs in the Northwest. While I was strolling in the grassland, I heard a peal of ringing laughter. She was riding on horseback. Her spirited look captured my heart. I could never forget the look of confidence on her face as she chased after the wind. To me, she was like a reincarnation of an angel. I had been secretly adoring her for over two years. You did not know how excited I felt when Father bestowed our marriage. I had been seeking after gifts that could complement her fairness for six whole months until I found this bangle -- the Phoenix's Blood Jade."

The prince stroked the bangle with a reminiscent look. "I could not wait to give this bangle to her, but when I removed the wedding veil, I was shocked. The woman in front of me was a total contrast to the one I knew. Ever since our marriage, she did not ride. She never smiled. She would not even lift up her face to look at me. I had only known the truth when I sent my men to the Northwest again. Her soul has followed his death and has been buried alive in the soil."

"How did he die?" I asked, wearing a somber look. "How did that General die?"

The Eighth Bei'Le looked at me. A hundred of inexplicable emotions rode across his eyes.

Edited by YvonneKindle