"Hell and damnation, the woman is going to be the death of me," Michael growled and took off in the direction of the gardens.

And then he spotted her shining black hair and thanked the lord for his height. He made a quick dash to her just as the swine Patrick was leading her outside.

"Your grandfather wishes to leave," he said sternly and not so subtly dragged her hand away from Patrick's arm.

"I don't. I was just about to go on a walk with Lord Patrick. So go away," Julia replied.

"Yes, a walk," the young fellow grinned insolently.

Michael turned to stare down at the man. Patrick promptly scurried off.

"What do you think you're doing? Driving off all my suitors?" Julia exploded.

Michael could barely keep his mouth from falling open.

"I thought you were supposed to help me attract a husband," she added indignantly.

"At this rate, the only thing you'll attract is a protector," Michael said harshly.

"How dare you?"

Michael ignored her and began to drag her out of the throng of guests.

All the while Julia was protesting and trying to shake off his grip.

He asked a footman to ready a carriage quickly.

With some difficulty, Michael managed to get her into his carriage. There was blessed silence although the air fairly crackled with their shared animosity.

"Are you trying to get yourself ruined?" he finally asked.

"What if I was?" she challenged.

Michael sighed. This was not what he'd signed up for. He wanted to strangle Howard for putting him in this predicament.

"I shall accompany you home after supper henceforth," he said and bent forward to pull up her bodice higher and frowned when it slipped back down—just as stubborn as it's owner. Julia swatted at his arm.

"I have not given you leave to behave so familiarly with me," she growled while two twin spots of colour bloomed in her cheeks.

Michael almost smiled. As worldly as she tried to appear, she was still an innocent.

"Yes, you've only given the leave to every other man of the ton."

"I'm only doing what my mother and grandfather wanted me to," she shrugged delicately.

"I'm not sure this is what they had in mind."

She turned her head towards the window and looked outside. The moon light washed across her face as the carriage rolled and Michael was stunned by the anguish on her face.

"If there's something..."

"There isn't," she replied succinctly.

"Why were you allowing Patrick to lead you to the gardens?"

"I suppose I wanted him to kiss me," she smiled.

"Are you in love with him?" Michael asked. He supposed he should handle this with care. If she had decided that Patrick was the one then who was he to stand in the way?

"I barely tolerate that pompous man," she laughed.

"But you'd have let him kiss you anyway?" he asked harshly, trying in vain to control his rising temper.

"I just wanted someone to show me what it's like to kiss," she replied brazenly, her eyes challenging him to lose it. She knew him well, he thought grimly.

"So it doesn't matter who kisses you? You just want the experience? Once you do, you will cease to behave in this fashion?"

"I just want one taste of passion," Julia shrugged noncommittally. 

"Then you will get it," Michael replied.

After that, Julia was dragged out of her seat and placed on something hard and unyielding. But she didn't have the time to think because the Duke's mouth was on hers and she'd lost her ability to think.

She didn't know if she could call it a kiss because kisses were supposed to be sweet and romantic. But all she felt in the Duke kiss was anger, so much of it.

And inexperienced as she was, she didn't want to give in.

She was angry too and rightfully so.

He pulled back abruptly.

"What are you doing?"

"You started it," she accused, her breath coming in short puffs.

"Yes but you weren't supposed to continue it," he growled.

"So what if I did?" she challenged, her hands gripping his collar.

He seemed speechless, his breathing ragged just like hers. His face was close, so close. And Julia couldn't believe that she'd just kissed the Duke of Adlington. Her family friend. Her best friend's brother. Oh Lord.

She quickly scrambled off his lap. Luckily, the carriage stopped and Julia threw open the door and ran into her grandfather's house, not even waiting for him to hand her down, not looking back once.

                   *********************

When you act without thought and on instinct, that one little act changes everything. And no matter what you do, things will never go back to being the way they used to be. The question is, will the change be for the better or for worse?