16; The Fallout

2016 Germany
"You either stand down, or you fight me."

After Tony threw the punch to Steve, Bucky went to shoot but Tony grabbed his arm before he could. He grabbed Bucky by the neck and threw him into the ground, and then Steve threw his shield to the side of his head, while Katherine took a deep breath. She wiped her tears, and got herself together. She wasn't going to let Steve and Bucky gang up on him. He had every right to be upset. He just watched his parents get killed. She just watched Howard get killed.

It was like getting the news that they were dead all over again, but worse.

Steve punched Tony away from Bucky, but Tony was quick to recover and fly back to him to knock him down before he bound his feet together. Then he went back to engage with Bucky. Katherine saw Steve broke free of the binds and he was running back over towards Bucky and Tony. That's when she stepped in front of him with her baton ready.

"Kath?" Steve asked, surprised that his wife was standing in his way. Then he quickly grabbed her as part of the building started to fall down as a result from Bucky redirecting Tony's shot, when everyone stood up from the rubble. Steve looked at Bucky.

"Get out of here!" He said. Bucky took off running, but Tony wasn't that far behind him. Tony shot off a blast at him, but he missed as Bucky slipped away.

"It wasn't him, Tony. HYDRA had control of his mind." Steve said.

"Move!" Tony said.

"It wasn't him!" Steve said, catching his leg, but Katherine used her baton to hit Steve's arm before kicking him away from Tony. Seeing that he was free, Tony flew after Bucky while Steve looked in shock that Katherine stopped him from stopping Tony.

"I'm sorry, Cap. I understand that HYDRA had control of his mind, but he still killed my best friend, Tony's parents. You don't know what that time was like for us... and I'm not going to let you and Bucky gang up on him, so if you want to get to Tony... you're going to have to go through me." She said, before running off in the direction that Tony went in.

The three of them, Steve, Katherine and Tony stood down by the entrance of the bunker. Tony and Katherine stood together, looking down at Steve. "This isn't going to change what happened." Steve said.

"I don't care. He killed my mom." Tony said.

"Howard too." Katherine said, shaking her head. Tony ignored her words before flying down to Steve and punching him in the face. As they were fighting, Bucky came down with Steve's shield and hit Tony with it, and that's when Katherine ran in. While Tony fought Bucky, and Steve had his shield back, Katherine stepped up in front of him.

"I don't want to hurt you, Kath." He said.

"I can't let you hurt Tony. So you have two choices, Steve. You either stand down, or you fight me." She said. Steve's eyes flashed hurt, he never thought this would happen, that they would truly be on opposing sides. He knows Katherine doesn't blame Bucky because she knows his mind was being controlled, but Howard was still her best friend.

Steve tried to swing for Tony but Katherine blocked his arm and twisted it back. He tried to shake her off with his shield, but she anticipated that move and threw out her other arm to block him. Seeing an opening, he brought his leg up, and swept Katherine by her knee, knocking her onto the ground, but she quickly recovered and stood up. Steve brought out his shield, but she blocked it with her arm and brought her leg up, kicking him in the gut, the force of her own strength, plus the strength of the serum sent Steve backwards and onto the ground.

"Stay down, Steve!" She yelled at him. She didn't want to hurt him. She didn't want to fight him, but she wasn't going to let Steve gang up on Tony with Bucky when Tony had every right to be upset about what he had just seen. Her kick had kept Steve down on the ground, and when she turned around, she saw that Bucky was trying to rip out the center piece of Tony's suit, which was also connected to his chest.