She tilted her head slightly, "That is exactly what I mean."

He sighed heavily, "I understand that you want to join in on fighting these HYDRA bastards, but I'm not sure if I can allow you to come with."

Having him already denying her claim to go with them caused her to purse her lips. This wasn't something simple like running paperwork back and forth around the bunker like a messenger, she knew that. She also was far too aware of the fact that women were not on the front lines in this war, which she didn't completely understand, and understood the standards. However, this was by far something different. This involved her torturer and an artifact from her own home. She would not allow herself to sit on the sidelines now of all times! "Have I not proven myself as an admirable fighter? I helped Steve retrieve the captured men of the 107th, I helped train your men in fighting techniques-"

"This is different."

Delphia's eyebrows twitched, "you will need all the soldiers you can get to fight this."

"Are you a soldier?" He asked her simply.

"At times," her answer just earned her a disbelieving scoff from Phillips. "Either way, I believe I know Schmidt more than any of your men. I can help on the ground any way they need."

Phillips stared at her for a long moment, taking in her determined stature. "Don't make this something I regret." The last thing he wanted was for a young woman to get hurt on the front lines. However, she's too stubborn to just let this go. He knows for a fact that if she would find a way to the battlefield behind his back. As she has done that previously. It was better to make sure that she was safe within their view than going behind their back to join. Even if she was a bit of a charity case in Phillips' eyes, he wouldn't want to see her get caught up in this in the wrong way.

As he walked away, Delphia felt herself smile triumphantly. It surprisingly was much easier to talk her way into getting involved in this than she originally thought. She figured she would have to plead her case more to him about joining. Perhaps she had proven herself to him to an extent, or he just knew that she was going to join regardless of what he said. Either way, Delphia was more than happy.

"You're coming on the mission?"

Delphia spun around at the sudden voice. It was Steve who stared at her with increasing worry growing on his face. She nodded, "Yes. Colonel Phillips agreed with my proposal."

"Proposal?" He chuckled lightly, "I feel like it was more of a demand than anything."

She just shrugged her shoulders bashfully, "Well, I suppose that I was going to join no matter what..."

Steve shook his head as a serious expression consumed his face. "Delphia, I don't want to see you get hurt."

"I will stay safe," She stated plainly, "I have done well enough to do that so far."

He just shook his head in denial, "You weren't on the field like this, Delphia.

"I am not a fragile little girl, like you might think."

"Delphia. I don't think that you're fragile." Steve quickly explained. By no means did he think she was fragile, at least not in the sense that she might be thinking. She's fragile to him in the way that she was precious to him. So of course he wouldn't want to have her in any sort of danger. There was a short silence between them as Steve took a moment to build up the courage to say what he wanted. He placed a hand on her cheek, caressing it tenderly. The two stared into each other's eyes, bright blue clashing with warm hazel. He made sure to portray the raw emotion that he was feeling in this moment to her through just his gaze. "I care for you. The last thing I want is to see you hurt."