Escape at Marseilles

On his return to London the Magistrate ordered that Savarkar be sent back to India for further trial. The British Government in India had set up a special tribunal just for Savarkar. In the mean time,some of the Indian and Irish revolutionaries in London attempted to rescue Savarkar from custody. However with details of the plan being leaked out, it failed. Guy Aldred formed the Savarkar Defense Comitee , while Verma, Aiyer and Chattopadhyaya began to organize for his legal defense. On the first day at court, the proceedings were adjourned to March 21, 1910 as neither side had the relevant documents. Once again, on March 21, the case was further adjourned to April 13, as it was informed that the the police officers who would be taking Savarkar back to India would be coming on April 9. Finally after a lot of deliberations, a decision was made to send Savarkar back to India.

Finally Savarkar was extradited to India aboard the steamer S S Morea on July 1 , and as he sat in the ship, his thoughts began to wander.  He had already shown his intent to face any danger, by going back to London, even knowing it meant arrest and deportation. He had come back to the lion's den to save his own people, but now was a chance to escape from the den, that would truly be a coup de grace.  Somewhat akin to Shivaji entering Aurangzeb's court being arrested and later escaping from there.  This was why the British sent him by ship, knowing fully well that if he were to be sent to Marseilles by train, the revolutionaries would make all attempts to free him somewhere. With most of the revolutionaries like Madame Cama, Rana, Shyamji Krishna Varma in France, the British Government was sure, there would be an all out attempt to free him en route.

With the long voyage ahead, Savarkar guessed, that the ship would be stopping at one of the European ports for loading coal and unloading of goods.   The British had plans to throw both Savarkar and the revolutionaries off track by passing Marseilles.  However Savarkar had firmly made up his mind to jump the ship, no matter where it stopped. And destiny ensured it would stop at Marseilles, though the same destiny would cruelly let him down too.

As it passed by the Straits of Gibraltar , the steamer had some engine trouble, and had to report in Marseiles Port for further repairs.  Knowing that this would be a good chance for Savarkar to escape, the British requested the French to keep close surveillance. As it moored along side the quay, Savarkar looked out for the presence of his fellow revolutionaries, but saw none.  In fact the local police officer Henri Leblias, came on board the ship, with a letter from the Commisioner of Police in London to the Chief of Police, Paris, to take all precautions to prevent Savarkar from jumping off the ship and prevent any of his friends from boarding the ship. 

Savarkar on the other hand, saw this is a golden opportunity, and was wondering on how to make the escape. He requested permission from a Scotland Yard Inspector Parkar to use the toilet. Inside the toilet, he first flung his dressing gown across the window , blocking the window view. He wriggled into the narrow pothole , his slender, lean frame fitting well inside. As he came out of the sea, the blue waters of the Mediterranenan, lay wide in front of him, beckoning him.  Taking a deep breath he dived right into the waters, from the porthole.  And began to swim towards the quay amidst a hail of bullets from the ship. He dived and managed to reach the quay wall, scaling it up in the second attempt. 

Stripped just to his vest, his slender frame, dripping wet with the salty sea water, he ran on the streets of Marseilles like a common thief, with police in hot pursuit. Barefoot, peniless , he found out a French cop, whom he requested to take him to the local magistrate.  Savarkar believed that he could put his case before the local magistrate, and be granted asylum in France. Sadly the French police were in cahoots with the British police, who had camped in Marseilles, and he was once again trapped. Destiny ensured, he would make an attempt to escape in Marseilles, the very same destiny cruelly let him down here.He was dragged back to the steamer.  The British police fell upon him, hitting him all over, including the back of his head.  And on board he was locked up in a tiny cabin.

Unfortunately for him, his associates Madame Bhikaji Cama and VVS Aiyar, who were supposed to receive him, were delayed by a couple of hours en route from Paris. By the time they came to the quay to receive Savarkar, they found that he was recaptured and put back on the ship again. However they managed to inform 'Humanite' by wire about this.  And later along with Shyamji Krishna Varma, met the French socialist leader Monsieur Jares,  who ensured Savarkar was issued the Hague Arbitration.Though the escape was a failure, Savarkar has by now become a legend of sorts, as it's news spread all over the world. The entire European media praised Savarkar, he became an icon for most of the other revolutionaries now. 

As the journey continued, the police officials were even more rude to Savarkar now, and he shot back saying

"I have set fire to my house, but remember that I will not die unless I killed one of you.  You are trying to drag me to the gallows, I am trying to escape from your clutches."

It was around this time, that Savarkar composed the verse "Anadi mi, Avadhya mi,  Anant me Bhala", to reduce his own mental tension. At Port Said he came to know from a cook, that his escapade at  Marseilles had made international headlines. When the Morea reached Aden, Savarkar was shifted to another ship, the S.S. Sasti.

On that ship, he was now huddled into a tiny cabin, with just about enough space to move around. No sunlight filtered in, and Savarkar had to spend the rest of the voyage, in darkness and heat. With no light and air, he lay huddled, suffocating, hands bound on both sides, unable to move. Calling it terrible would be an understatement, he was carried along like a captured animal, an insult to such a noble soul. He felt like killing himself at times, however managed to survive the ordeal, that would have destroyed a lesser person. When the sea became rough, he prayed for deliverance.

"I once asked you to carry me to my motherland, now I pray that you take me in your womb. Let my enemies not get the pleasure of exulting over me".