3

Rebecca Carter

By the look of shock on Bucky's face, I'd say he's impressed how well I know my way around the submachine gun; honestly, he's stunned. Possibly. Maybe? I'd be lying if I thought he didn't look like a boy in a toy shop, with the way his blue eyes are sparkling.

"Impressed, Sergeant Barnes?" I smirk as I reload, staring at the tree with the painted-on target I've just decimated- what they painted it with I have no clue. You can see straight through to the other side now, the bullseye acting as a tunnel.

Bucky drags his gaze away from the tree to me, shooting me a smile. "Very, Sergeant Carter. Where in Hell did you learn to fire like that?"

"Boy Scouts."

"Funny, Rik. Hilarious."

"SSR."

"Really?"

"Yes. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but my sister and I are Agents there. That's the reason I'm with the military project I mentioned in the first place," I fiddle with the submachine in my hands. "You know, I should probably put this back. I don't want to have to be carting this around everywhere." Suddenly a bell rings across the camp, the signal- the training is about to begin.

Bucky and I sprint across the field to return the submachine before making our way to the main base camp. "What's first?" I ask.

"Someone should've given you a schedule. Probably me," Bucky glances at me apologetically, but I just shake my head at him. "It's some obstacle course, a new one, with a huge endurance run, then this afternoon we're shooting at things."

I look up at the structure as we approach it, menacing and shadowing everything around it. "Oh, I know this one," I say cheerfully, prodding at the surrounding mud with my toe- it sticks to the boot, wet. Bucky looks at me, wanting explanation, so I give it to him: "The SSR help the army with a lot of things. Training included. Which is why I can tell you this course isn't just physical strength but also observation."

Bucky's confused. And rightly so. "Just follow me exactly. It'll make the endurance part so much easier." I grin, feeling like a child.

For the most part the course is simple. Climbing, agility, all that malarkey. Except half of the monkey bars are greased- most of the surfaces are, to be honest- which is where the observance element comes in. Taking note of which  track is easier, which wall is the least steep. I remember much of the logistics but I'm sure there's been some edits since I've last seen this creation.

Or not, apparently. The award for completing the course fastest goes to me, and second place to Bucky which mean we get the grand reward of starring the endurance run first. How thrilling! But it does teach me a lot about Bucky: he laughs when he's tired. Okay, he laughs a lot, full stop.

I don't want the sound to stop.

*

Steve Rogers

"Hey, Rogers, where's your boyfriend?" Hodge yells over to me during training. I glance at him, breathlessly confused for the weirdest of moments, before I realise what the comment means. Or who, I guess, is more accurate.

Instead of retorting with sarcasm Rikki would be proud of, I deliberately ignore him and concentrate on breathing- this asthma is doing my head in- while I exercise. Agent Carter is sneaking small glances at me which is kinda strange. Girls don't look at me that way. I think maybe Rikki was right; I do 'fancy' her sister.