13. If I Win or Lose All Roads Lead to You [edited]

Duke followed every turn that I told him to take.

I glanced back at him as he slowed for a stop sign.

I sat back in the seat, "I don't get it I mean she said that I needed something to wake me up."

Duke glanced back at me, "What are you talking about."

"Just my professor, she told me that maybe if I retraced my steps that something would allow me to remember that night."

Duke smiled over at me.

"What, why are you smiling?"

"Nothing, never mind."

"NO, why did you smile at me?"

"Most people would run away from what haunts them but you running in head first wanting all the answers."

"If someone you trusted so badly did something to you, wouldn't you wanna know?"

Duke smiled over at me, "You are passionate about this."

"I just can't shake it that something bad happened that night. And Abby said that there should have been two funerals."

"She said that to you?"

"Yea, she did."

"That's kinda fucked up."

"Yea no shit." I looked ahead when Duke slowed the car for the turn. "Wait, stop the car."

Duke looked at me, "Not on this turn!"

"STOP THE FUCKING CAR!" I shouted at him.

Duke slammed on the breaks as I grabbed the door to get out of the car. "You are fucking insane."

I looked back at him as I walked across the road, "I have been here."

Duke glanced back at me, "Anna..."

I dropped down to the pavement, "I was here that night."

"Anna, get up."

I looked down at the trees on the side of the road, "Duke, this was where it happened."

"ANNA!" Duke shouted at me as he rushed over to me grabbed me by my sides and tossing me out of the way of the oncoming car.

I looked over at him as he moaned out, "Thanks for that."

"You are welcome." He groaned at me as I stood up looking at the road.

"I was here."

"Anna, maybe we should come back in the morning."

I glanced back at him, "I need to remember."

"You need to live to remember." Duke snorted back at me.

I walked across the road to the guard rail, "For the past year everyone has been stepping lightly around me. I can't have that with you too."

Duke ran over to me as the car passed behind me, "Kid, you are scaring me."

"I'm starting to scare myself." I jumped over the guard rail as I tripped over a rock and rolled the rest of the way down.