•6

Y/N's POV

I woke up to Monokuma's screechy tone, telling everyone to go the dining hall. I figured that at this point, since he had told us to kill eachother, and given us a motive to kill, that nothing could be worse than that.
I walked to the dining hall, looking down, trying to not think about anything. There wasn't any reason for me to feel scared, since we'd already gotten the bad news, but my teeth still chattered violently. A few people gave me worried looks, due to my stance or the rumours, but I tried not to stare back. I eventually opened the dining hall door, and gazed up at everyone. They all seemed to be in similar spots as to where they were this morning, with Kokichi still pestering people, Shuichi glued to Kaede, Maki trying to stay away from everyone. However, Rantaro wasn't in his spot. Looking around the hall, I noticed he wasn't here yet at all. I shrugged to myself and took a seat near where we were this morning and played with my sleeves. Monokuma appeared and took head count.
"13.. 14... 15.. 16... uh.." he mumbled. "Where's the avocado kid?" He sneered. I felt everyone gaze at me. I looked back at them, not reacting much.
"What are you guys looking at?" I asked. Kokichi locked eyes with me, giving an expression that was clearly trying to tell me 'I think you know what we're looking at". I rolled my eyes at him and focused back on my sleeves. The door to the dining hall creaked, revealing a mop of green hair. I looked up briefly but then went back to playing with the cuffs of my sleeves. After how awkward everything went earlier, I guess it was normal for the two of us to try not to make eye contact. Rantaro made his way next to Kaede, who was trying to get Kokichi to stop pestering Kiibo. He chuckled at her desperate attempts to stop the odd scene.
"Alright, that's everyone!" Monokuma's voice pierced through my ears, giving off an unsettling vibe through the room. "Now, we have a small life-or-death issue!" I gazed up at him, my teeth chattering a bit as the others started at him with wide eyes.
"Life or death? Again?" Ouma whined. "He's getting so predictable, Saihara-Chan!" I could hear him pouting.
"P-please do not.. um..." Shuichi stuttered.
"Listen up!" Monokuma waved his arms frantically. "You all haven't been getting on with the killing game, so I've decided to add an additional motive!"
Damnit... again? He's clearly from the deepest corner of hell.
"If someone doesn't die by midnight in two days, you're all gonna kick the bucket!" He cackled. I felt a pit in my stomach as my jaw opened a bit. I noticed almost the entire group looked at me expectantly. Tenko looked like she might run over to me at any moment, as if something was going to happen to me. Right... they probably think I'll faint again. I wanted to tell them off, but instead I just tried to look away.
The students chatted away, tried to defy Monokuma, and some just stared off into space, trying to contain their thoughts. Rantaro bit his lip, probably trying to not make an insensitive comment again. I tapped my foot in frustration, waiting for Monokuma to just disappear. I guess I've just been hit with so much unbelievable information lately, I wasn't fazed by this kind of stuff anymore. I didn't necessarily want to, but I stood up. I couldn't care less if Monokuma or anyone else was still here, considering that I'm apparently the "overreaction girl" now. I didn't care if Monokuma didn't want us leaving yet, if he ended up killing me, at least everyone wouldn't have a time limit to deal with. This time, I guess I didn't care what the consequences were whatsoever. I walked out of the dining hall, not bothering to close the door behind me. I didn't know where I was going, I just didn't want to be there.
Even after catching a glimpse of a few people's stares at me, and hearing some others call my name, I eventually found myself in the library. I wasn't a heavy reader, but I found some pleasure in it from time to time. As I looked over the shelves, nothing particularly stood out to me. Then I spotted a book that wasn't too dusty, and looked to be a choose your own adventure story. I tried to grab the book off the shelf, but it wouldn't budge. There was clear space on this bookcase in particular, showing that books had been taken from here before, so why wouldn't this one budge? Eventually, after trying to pull the novel off the shelf, I tried to pull the shelf off the book. The method itself didn't make much sense, but I figured I might as well try it out. To my surprise, it began to move towards me. In a moment of hope, I pulled harder, only for it to move smoothly across the floor. All of a sudden, I realized that this idea had no common sense, and moving the shelf wouldn't help me get the book. Just as I was repositioning myself to push the bookshelf back, I saw a small door behind it. I walked up to the mysterious door out of curiosity.
..a door? Why is something like this here? Maybe it's a hidden passage way, but who would need it?
I tried to open it, but it wouldn't budge. I noticed a card reader close next to it. I thought at first that Monokuma might use this door, but the card reader was too high up for him to be able to reach it. So who could know about this? I immediately ruled out Ryoma and Himiko for obvious reasons. Just as I was about to step away from the door to tell someone of my discovery, I heard the door open, and two voices come into the library. One was feminine and confident, while the other was quiet and a tad more masculine.
"Follow me, there's something I need to— what the?" The shy voice said. He was obviously reacting to the bookshelf. I recognized that voice to be Shuichi's.
"Why's the bookcase out of place?" The female voice asked. I identified her as Kaede. Footsteps grew louder towards me, and I began to panic. I reminded myself to stay calm and I stepped out from behind the bookcase.
"Hey guys, fancy seeing you here." I chuckled to hide my worry.
"Y/N? Why were you there?" Kaede asked.
"Well, I—" I began.
"Actually, uh... Y/N... I'd like to.. um.. show her what's beyond the bookcase first. If that's alright with you, of course!" Shuichi muttered.
"Go ahead." I nodded as I stepped behind the bookcase once more, Shuichi and Kaede following behind me.
"What.. is this?" Kaede's eyes were glued onto the door. Shuichi stared at the floor but then looked up at me.
"Y/N.. do you know?" He asked me, doubt in his tone.
"I don't think I do?" I replied.
"Okay, well, you both know how Monokuma is a robot." We nodded. "Well, that means someone has to be controlling him. This is just a guess, but I believe that that person, or, the mastermind, is one of us."
"What? One of us?" I felt a pit in my stomach once more.
"Yeah.. and behind this door is their special hideout." He explained. "They'd need to have a card for the reader over here, or at least a password of some sort. Monokuma wouldn't be able to reach the card reader, so it must be someone of human height." I couldn't believe what he just said. If his theory was true, one of the 16 students I'm trapped in here with is the one responsible for the hell we're being put through. I realized that since I was behind the bookshelf when they came in, they probably thought I was the mastermind.
"Y/N... I don't mean to assume or doubt you but..." The Ultimate Detective began.
"Shuichi, I promise you it isn't me." I interrupted. "I decided to come to the library after Monokumas announcement and was looking for a book. I accidentally pulled the bookshelf away revealing the door. I promise." I tried to prove my innocence.
"It's alright, Y/N. We believe you, right, Shuichi?" Kaede gave me a reassuring smile as the smaller boy nodded. "We should probably get out of here before someone sees this. We don't want the mastermind to witness us finding their little secret."
"Alright, just give me a second to do something real quick. I want to make sure my theory is correct." Shuichi carefully placed dust on the card reader. "Now we'll know if someone is really coming into this room."
"Alright, sounds good." I was about to leave when Shuichi grabbed my wrist.
"One more thing to both of you... you can't tell anyone about this. If they do, it could put people in more danger than were already in." Shuichi was more serious now.
"Okay, I won't. I'm sure Y/N won't either." Kaede told him. I nodded to show my agreement.
As I walked out the library, feeling different, I remembered the rest of my situation. Kokichi was spreading rumours about me, and Rantaro and I were in some sort of awkward silence. But I didn't even know if the rumours were true or not at this point. Sure, Amami is handsome, nice, funny, and smart to the point it's scary, but something about him just seems.. off. He always acts like he's hiding something important from the rest of us. What.. what if he's the mastermind? No, that can't be it, he doesn't even know his own talent.
While still lost in my thoughts, I bumped into something bright pink.
"Oh, uh, sorry. I wasn't looking at where I was going." I apologized.
"No duh, dipshit! Seriously, do you even have eyes or were you just that desperate to feel my tits?" Without even looking up, I could tell I bumped into none other than Miu Iruma.
"Uh... I only bumped into you, sorry." I put my hands up, defending myself.
"Okay dipshit, it's your lucky day, because your flat chest gets to hang out with the gorgeous girl genius!" She exclaimed.
"What? Why do you wanna hang out with me?" I questioned.
"You're the one who wanted to hang out with me, dipshit! I would never want to hang out with a loser like you!" She puts her hands on her hips.
"Oh.. if you don't want to, I can just-" I offered.
"No way! I'm bored as fuck, so you're gonna hang out with me, whether you like it or not!" She demanded. I found it useless to debate with her any longer. We talked about Miu's inventions. I feel we grew a bit closer today.
"Oh.. I think I have to go. Nice talking to you, Miu!" I waved, walking away quickly.
"Yeah, whatever." She muttered.
Shuichi had told me not to tell anyone about the mastermind's room, but I felt an uncontrollable urge to talk about to everyone I talked to throughout the day. Then I remembered that I had somewhat ruled out Rantaro as the mastermind, plus we needed something to break this shield of ice we'd formed between us. I also remembered that Rantaro seemed to hide something from everyone. If he's hiding something from me, why should I tell him the secret I have? But what if he tells me his after I show him the door? Even though he acted suspicious from time to time, it would be way too obvious for him to be the mastermind. The mastermind would be more cunning as to not seem suspicious. Once I had my thoughts together and completely ruled out him as the awful person who's making us go through this killing game, I began walking towards his dorm. I didn't know why, but he always seemed to be locked up in there... he's probably doing something personal. As soon as I reached the door, I gave an upbeat knock on the door.
"Coming!" He yelled from inside. I could hear my inner Kokichi screaming 'on who'. "Oh, hey Y/N. What brings you here?" He asked, only opening the door a bit.
"What are you hiding?" His face went a bit pale. "You can open the door more, I don't bite." It went back to its normal shade.
"Oh... yeah. Just give me a second... I need to make this place look presentable." He began the closing the door but I caught it with my foot.
"It's no big deal, I'm not super duper organized either." I chuckled. What was he trying to stop me from seeing?