Chapter 1 : an unexpected sorting

Hey guys so i wrote a cute AS/S story and it took up 26 pages on microsoft word so im proud

=ASP=

Here he was at last on the Hogwarts Express and on his way to Hogwarts. The whole thing seemed a little surreal. He'd been dreaming of such things since he was a young boy, growing up listening to stories from his parents and aunts and uncles about the castle.

He was both excited and terrified.

Excited because, well, he should think that was obvious. And terrified to end up in the wrong house. James had been teasing him incessantly about how he was destined to end up in Slytherin. He felt somewhat comforted after his talk with his father though. The sorting hat would listen to him.

"Al? Everything alright?" His cousin, Rose, asked from beside him. He barely heard her over the racket in their compartment. When Potters and Weasleys got together, a great deal of noise was never far behind.

"Yeah. Just... thinking," he replied after a moment.

"You won't be in Slytherin," she said confidently. Sometimes he could swear that she could read minds. Or his at the very least. "Your father and his parents were all in Gryffindor and look at the Weasley family. You're practically a shoo-in."

"Maybe..." He was trying not to speak too much because he feared that he might be sick if he opened his mouth too often.

"You'll see. How often am I wrong?" Rose reasoned.

=SHM=

Looking out the window as the countryside passed them by, Scorpius couldn't help but notice the fluttering of nerves in his stomach. He'd had a long talk with his father the day before. It had put a few things in perspective for him.

"Scorpius, there are a lot of expectations on Malfoys. Always have been. For example, it is expected that you will be in Slytherin. I'm sure your grandfather has already spoken to you about such things; carrying on the Malfoy legacy and other such nonsense. Other students will have expectations of you as well. They will think that, as the son of a former death eater, you will be a certain way. Cruel, vindictive... evil.

I want you to forget about all of these expectations.

The only thing I want you to do at Hogwarts is enjoy yourself. Good grades would be preferable, but I was never the best student myself so I will not harp on you about that particular subject. Though I cannot speak for your mother. I just want to emphasize: do not let everyone else's expectations shape who you are. I made that mistake and I do not wish it on you. You are your own person Scorpius, and your mother and I are proud of you, no matter what."

Scorpius smiled a little at his reflection in the window as he remembered the talk. His parents were good people. His grandfather, on the other hand, he wasn't so sure. He loved him because he was his grandfather, but he hadn't liked the things he'd had to say about going to school. Lucius had dictated who he should and should not be friends with, which teachers he should pay particular respect to, and as his father said, that he should be in Slytherin. It wasn't that he minded the thought of being in Slytherin, but he wanted it to be the house he was supposed to be in, not the house he was expected to be in.

He glanced across the compartment at his best friend since childhood and laughed a little at the fact that he had his nose in a book. It was a common sight when it came to Marcus Goyle. He'd once heard his father joke that there was no way that Gregory Goyle could be Marcus's father.

"Are you already studying?" Scorpius asked him incredulously. "That hat should put you in Ravenclaw. Though your father would probably pass out..."