i | blood curses and almost kisses

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Sabrina, Lydia! Hi," Ms. Wardwell greeted.

"I didn't know you were a fan of horror movies," Sabrina said. Ms. Wardwell took her glasses off, cleaned them, then placed them back on.

"Sabrina and Lydia are nuts for 'em, the gorier the better," Harvey told her.

"Well, um, who doesn't enjoy a good scare every now and again?" Ms. Wardwell asked.

"That's exactly what I would have said," Lydia replied. The group walked outside.

"Ms. Wardwell," Lydia began, "We have a tradition of going to the movies and then to Dr. Cerberus' to dissect whatever we just saw. Would you like to join us?"

"I have papers to grade, but thank you for the offer," Ms. Wardwell replied, "Really."

The older woman began to walk away, but not before turning around and waving, "See you in class, guys!"

The group waved goodbye as she left.

"'Di, why would you do that?" Rosalind Walker, the twins' other friend, asked.

"Invite Ms. Wardwell?" Sabrina asked for her.

"Yeah," Susie answered.

"Well, first of all, she's my favorite teacher, and second of all, I just feel kind of bad for her, living in that house, all alone," Lydia said.

─ ༓ ─

The group of five found themselves in a booth at Dr. Cerberus'. Lydia and Susie sat on one side, Sabrina and Harvey sat on another, and Roz pulled up a chair, and they were all discussing the Night of the Living Dead.

"The whole thing functions as a metaphor!" Susie exclaimed.

"It's a monster movie, Susie," Harvey replied.

"Devil's advocate, can't it be both?" Sabrina asked.

"Exactly!" Lydia cried, "It is both. On one level, it's about zombies, but on another level, it's about the Cold War!"

"Civil rights!" Roz added.

"The collapse of the nuclear family!" Susie yelled, banging her hands on the table.

"Did we just watch different movies?" Harvey asked.

"You didn't get that?" Susie questioned, "From when the daughter turned into a zombie then ate her mother?"

"I think Harvey may have had his eyes closed during that part," Sabrina said, unable to contain her laughter.

The other three girls sighed or rolled their eyes at the Kinkle boy.

"Ugh, that's awful! You missed the best part," Lydia said.

He didn't hear her, though, as he had started kissing Sabrina. Lydia grimaced, not enjoying watching her sister make out with her boyfriend right in front of her.

When the group decided it was time to leave, Lydia ran up to talk to Susie.

"Hey, do you think I could walk you home? Harvey's taking Sabrina home and I do not want to third wheel with those lovebirds," she said. Susie laughed and agreed.