flashbacks - epilogue

Start from the beginning

he just wished max was there.
he'd be proud.

"actually, alec?"
alec turned around in their embrace.
"yeah?"
"there's something i'd like to show you. a special surprise i planned with a little help from clary and crew."
alec looked confused, but let jace grab him by the hand and drag him out into the foyer.

alec's breath caught in his throat. his eyes began to sting, and he felt himself tremble at what he saw before him.

or more specifically, who.

"mom? dad?"

wasting no time, alec ran straight forward into their arms. he cried, but not too much because he didn't want a blotchy face.

"why? why after all these years are you here?"
"it was your brother's idea, alec. jace contacted us and told us you were ready to try have a relationship again. i cried when he said that because i miss you, i love you, and i never ever want to let you go again," maryse said, tearing up.
"yeah. after we almost lost you, we realised that we needed to change. hate isn't getting anyone anywhere. we were wrong, alec; nothing will ever change that. but now, we're going to try to be better, if you'll let us. we love you, regardless of who you are or who you identify as. you're our child, our boy, and we will always support you from now on. we don't want to lose another son," robert added, voice breaking at the last sentence.

"i'm gonna go check everything's definitely prepared," said jace. he wasn't actually going to do that. he just wanted to give alec and their parents some alone time. they needed it.

"i appreciate that you realise you're wrong. i love you both, so so much, but my heart was utterly destroyed back then. now, it's almost at its full potential. well, it'll be full again after this wedding," alec said, blushing," i'm just so happy you could make it, and that i will finally get to have a proper relationship with you guys."

"i can't wait to meet magnus, too. i'm sure he's gorgeous," maryse beamed.

"oh he is," said alec.

"inside and out."

-------------

magnus stood at the altar, waiting nervously. his best friend since childhood catarina was there with him. her and ragnor had fought to be his best man/maid of honour, and now ragnor was sulking beside raphael, another close friend of magnus's. there was a crowd of his friends, and then there was a crowd of alec's -izzy, clary, simon, kit, ty, and jace who was of course alec's best man. there was also the group of onlookers from that fateful day five years ago. magnus had managed to find them all, because of his job.

it was the exact date that alec had almost died. they'd chosen this as their wedding date because they wanted this date to hold a happier memory, and to have proof that alec had overcome the worst part of his life.

"hey, jace? if you're here then who's walking alec down the aisle?"
jace's eyes widened for a moment. "uhhh, i -he's coming with someone else but i can't tell you because it's a surprise okay?"
magnus raised an eyebrow. "but there's no one else it could be..."

and then it dawned on him. at almost the exact moment he realised it, the church was silenced and heads turned around. magnus followed suite and his suspicions were confirmed.

magnus couldn't prevent his jaw from dropping as he looked at the two people either side of alec. an elegantly beautiful woman who looked extremely like isabelle, and a man with alec's sharp handsome features.