Chapter 18: Dinner

Začať od začiatku

"He's a criminal?" She asked impressed.

"Un huh, and that is Mr. Kowalski, he's a No-Maj..."

"A No-Maj? Teen, what are you up to?" Queenie asked suddenly worried.

"He's sick, it's a long story. Mr. Scamander has lost something, I'm going to help him find it."

Mr. Kowalski suddenly staggered, very sweaty and unwell. Queenie ran to him as Tina hovered, also worried. He fell back onto a sofa.

"You need to sit down, honey. Hey, he hasn't eaten anything all day. And, aww, that's rough, he didn't get the money he wanted for his bakery. You bake, honey? I love to cook." Queenie said after reading his mind.

Newt was watching Queenie from his spot by the window, his scientific attention now aroused.

"You're a Legilimens?" He asked.

"Uh huh, yeah. But I always had trouble with your kind. Brits. It's the accent. Although I had some practice." Queenie said looking at you.

You looked down and smiled nervously. You felt Newt's gaze on you.

"You know how to read minds?" Mr. Kowalski said cottoning on and appalled.

"Aww, dont worry, honey. Most guys think what you was thinking, first time they see me."

Queenie playfully gestured towards him with her wand.

"Now, you need food."

You and Newt both looked out of the windows and saw a Billywig flying past, Newt was nervous, impatient to get out and find his creatures. And you wanted to help. Merlin knows what can happen to them.

Tina and Queenie busy themselves in the kitchen. Ingredients come floating out of cupboards as Queenie enchants them into components of a meal, carrots and apples chop themselves, pastry rolls itself and pans stir.

"Hot dog... again?" Queenie asked Tina.

"Don't read my mind!"

"Not a very wholesome lunch."

Tina pointed her wand at the cupboards. Dishes, assorted cutlery and glasses come flying out, setting themselves on the table with a little prodding from Tina's wand. Mr. Kowalski, half-fascinated, half-terrified, staggered towards the table.

You did not notice, but Newt was now standing next to the door, his hand on the doorknob.

"Hey, Mr. Scamander, you prefer pie or strudel?" Queenie asked him, artless.

Everyone except you looked at Newt who, embarrassed, removed his hand from the doorknob.

"I really don't have a preference." He said looking down and smiling awkwardly.

Queenie smiled widely after his response.

Tina stared at Newt, confrontational, but also disappointed and hurt.

"And you, Y/n, do you prefer pie or strudel?" Queenie asked you kicking you out of your thoughts.

Queenie and Newt were the only ones who looked at you.

"I don't have a preference." You said looking at the floor smiling slightly.

When Queenie looked away from you, you looked out of the window. You did not know that but Newt was still gazing at you.

Mr. Kowalski was already seated at the table, tucking his napkin into his shirt.

"You prefer strudel, huh, honey? Strudel it is." Queenie said after reading his mind.