Chapter 10

[Violet's POV]

I took Clem to a very closed off area in the forest near where the river ran. It was still autumn but winter was showing signs of arrival.

Tenn, Minnie and I had discovered this place together...before it all went wrong.

I guided Clem to the area near where the clementine tree grew. It was almost a coincidence. She looked around the place, amazed at the sight.

"It's beautiful...How did you find this place?"

'Not as beautiful as you' I thought.

"Well...actually, I got into a heated arguement with my parents and left the house. I called my now-ex girlfriend and her little brother so I could hang out with them. We just kept wandering around the forest until we stumbled upon this spot. You can sit down by the way."

She sat down gently and stared at the Violets on the other side next to the clementine tree. Another coincidence. Minnie always teased me about them whenever we came here.

"Hey look! There are Violets and clementines. Weird. You know, Violets are my favourite flower. And purple was...my Dad's favourite color..."

That made me smile.

"Your Dad had a great taste in color...wait...no that sounds weird...don't think about it."

"Haha too late but I'll act like I didn't."

We sat there for a good hour just talking about memories of the good old days.

"You know...in my old house we had a huge backyard. My Parents had built a treehouse for me. It was awesome."

"A treehouse? That is the coolest."

"Yeah. I used to take my walkie-talkie up there and play for hours. I'd pretend it was a ship and I was the captain, or it was an igloo and I was a hunter. Ooh, or a castle, and I was a princess."

"Really? Like with frilly dresses and a tiara?"

"Yeah, but also a sword. a warrior princess."

"Yeah, obviously"

She looked back at the lake but I couldn't take my eyes off of her. She was so mesmerising. I guess she eventually caught me staring.

"Vi? Earth to Vi. You're staring again"

"Yeah, sorry about that"

"It's cool. I think it's funny, really"

"Clem, I know that you're still figuring things out but I need to tell you this...to get it outta the way. Uh...shit"

Clementine looked at me with curiosity yet I could also tell that she was trying to reassure me with her eyes.

"Okay...listen. When I first met you I really didn't want to get to know you. I'd had some trouble with my ex, Minerva, and it caused me to have some serious trust issues. But, when you hung out with our friends more I got to know you."

"The more I got to know you the more I wanted to be around you and I really felt like giving you a chance. I was scared at first that you would be just like Minnie and I would end up getting hurt again. I was wrong again."

"When we were at the park and I asked about your parents I felt so guilty after seeing you so upset. That's when I realised how much I care about you. I didn't want to hurt you. Shit. I really care about you Clem. Also, that was when I realised that...damn...I had feelings for you."

It took all of my willpower to say that.

"I don't know how you feel about me but I just wanted to get it out you know? I...I really like you Clementine."

There were a few awkward seconds of silence until she spoke up.

"Remember when we were in the changing room and you ended up confessing to me about your sexuality?"

I blushed at the memory. It was so embarrassing!

"Yeah..."

"And I told you I 'thought' I had a crush on this girl."

"Yeah. Why?"

"I wasn't 'thinking' at all. I knew I had a crush on this girl but I kept trying to deny it because I had never felt this way about another girl before. But lately I'd been seeing girls on TV and the internet and...finding them attractive. Eventually I came to the realisation that I sure as hell wasn't straight."

Honestly, hearing her say that was so good.

"And who was the the girl you liked?"

"Don't you mean, 'who IS the girl you LIKE?' I still have a crush on her aha. Well...she's tough. She has these beautiful green eyes and dirty blonde hair that reaches her jawline. And don't get my started on that, she has a really sharp jawline. And she told me once 'I'm really fuckin gay' and I was shocked. But also glad to know I actually had a chance with her."

Wait a second...was she talking about...me?

"Your face is expressing total confusion right now. I'll just say it then. The girl I have a crush on is you Vi."

She ended her confession with a sort of nervous smile before turning away.
It took me a moment to let it sink in. She had a crush on me. I let that repeat in my mind so many times. She.had.a.crush.on.me.
After I let it sink in I faced her direction to find her relaxed with her eyes closed. I took the opportunity to lean into her face and kiss her.

It took a few seconds for her to comprehend what had just happened but soon she kissed me back.

We soon separated with the most stupid smiles on our faces but we didn't care. I gently placed my hand on hers without a care in the world.

Word Count: 951