Chapter 07

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

As Zilah was applying her second layer of gloss onto her lips Scarlet slipped out of their dorm and into the common room heading for her date with Neville, not without the teasing voice of Zilah reminding her to be a good girl and not stay out to late of course.

Almost at the door she heard it "So you're really going to miss the party of the year to go on some date?" Draco called out. Scarlet turned towards him, Draco was in casual clothes settling a bottle of fire whiskey on a table, how he had come into possession of the alcohol she didn't ask, it was best not to she always found where his more cunning side was concerned.

He had emphasized the word date as if to make clear to Scarlet that he still didn't believe her. "Confident it's going to be a success then?" Scarlett asked mockingly. "Yes, yes I am, everyone in Slytherin's coming you know, well except the first years of course" he said boasting. "Well I hope you have fun Draco but I must be going, Neville is waiting for me" Scarlet said in a non-fazed voice and once again turned to the door to make her way out. Of course she didn't make it the whole way there.

"NEVILLE! Neville Longbottom!! you cannot be serious" Draco looked as though he had been slapped in the face, Scarlet simply smiled. "Yes Draco, Neville Longbottom, he's absolutely lovely and I don't care what you have to say about him" she said well knowing that her going out with a Gryffindor would drive Draco mad... and she was loving it.

"You" he said pointing a finger in Scarlet's direction "and... Longbottom?" he said confused. "Yes Draco, now I really am late I must be going" she said trying to end the conversation, but Draco wasn't having that. "Longbottom who in first year cried because he lost his toad?" Draco said not letting her go.

"Actually Draco you stole his toad and you'd told him you'd cut off one of his poor webbed feet if he didn't do your homework for a week" Scarlet corrected him. "Longbottom who's boil potion spilled all over him in 1st, 2nd and, Scarlet, and third year!" he said disbelievingly as though he was trying to convince her of something. "Yes Draco, potions isn't his best subject, but he's the best in our whole year at Herbology" she countered. "Herbology!" Draco said with a scoff. "Draco I'm leaving okay, have fun." She said trying to cut off the conversation for the last time.

Leaving Draco at that point was a good idea, Scarlet was sure that if she had stayed he could have missed his own party undermining Neville. So he's a bit clumsy but he's also really sweet, and he would have a lot more confidence if Draco and the others didn't tease him so much, and he was growing into being quite handsome really.

When Scarlet got to the hall they had decided to meet in Neville was already waiting. "Oh you're here, I thought you might have forgotten or decided you did want to go to that party after all" Neville said smiling. "Of course not, I've been looking forward to this all day" Scarlet said encouragingly. Neville grinned and stood a bit taller. "Well shall we go this way?" Scarlet asked pointing in the direction away from the Slytherin's, she didn't want to hear all the fun they were having. "Sure".

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

At the Party people were already starting to get tipsy, more than a few girls were hanging around Draco, this included Zilah, but Draco seemed oblivious that it was for the same reason as the others that were there, after all she was his friend. Not that he had put much thought into it, because of course he was blooding thinking about Scarlet and her stupid date with Longbottom, his name is Long-bottom for Merlin's sake, Draco thought bitterly.