3.50

"hey." mackenzie greeted johnny after she opened her door. "how are you?"

"good." he smiled boyishly at her. "how are you?"

"alright. had a bad day, and all that shit– as you might be able to tell from the outfit."

"oh." johnny replied, only now noticing that she was wearing sweatpants and an old band shirt with rips in it. he looked her up and down. she should've looked terrible in the outfit but surprisingly, she looked cute. fuck. he never used to think she was cute, just hot.

"but hey, at least i'm still wearing cute underwear." she laughed, pulling him out of his reverie and shifting her shirt to the side to show off a lacy black strap.

johnny laughed with her, and she ushered him in, quickly showing him around.

"here's our kitchen, where we cook– well obviously– and through those doors is the dining room..." she was saying, but for some reason, johnny couldn't focus on her voice. he was wondering whether he was supposed to ask her about her day, or just leave it. she said she had a bad day, but did she even want to talk about it? he didn't know. ugh. girls were confusing.

johnny shook his head at himself, and forced himself to listen to what she was saying. "anddd here's our lounge," she said as she plopped into a very, very comfortable looking couch.

"nice. cool decorations." he said automatically, still standing.

"thanks." she laughed a little. "you're being a little..."

"a little what?" he asked, almost knowing what she was about to say.

"weird." she finished with a laugh, cheeks a little red. "what's up?"

"how was your day?" he blurted, on accident.

"um– what?"

"how was your day. really?

"ah, it was shitty? but i already said that..." her voice trailed off.

with a huff, he sat down next to her on the couch and casually placed a hand on her thigh. she looked up at him, eyes wide and confused. their faces were so close, if either of them were to move an inch forward they'd be kissing.

"tell me what happened." he said gently.

"do you care?" she was confused.

"yes?" he affirmed.

"okay? well..."

"well what?"

"we had cheer rehearsal today, and the girls don't want me to see you. they were quite... adamant."

johnny sighed. "why?" he asked, absently running a hand through his hair.

"you know how i said i've been with 5/11 boys on the football team?" mackenzie's voice rose.

"yes, but what does that have to do with it?"

"out of the 20 girls on the cheer team, you've been with eleven of them. only... only one of them got a second date."

johnny awkwardly laughed, putting his head in his hands. "fuckkk." he mumbled, and she laughed breathlessly. "well this is coming back to bite me in the ass."

"i guess they just made me think about me and you. like... technically this is my second date with you. will you ditch me when you get what you want, just like all the other girls?"

"oh, fuck." johnny sighed. "no. no, i won't. will... you?"

there was a pause.

"no." she mumbled in the softest voice he'd ever heard her use.

that was all they needed to hear.

talking about the future is hard for two people who don't even know what they're doing in the present. talking about relationships is harder still– but talking about love? it's the hardest. too hard, for them.

carefully, slowly, johnny wrapped his arms around her. she exhaled and smiled softly, tucking her head into his chest as he bit his lip and closed his eyes. they both relaxed into the embrace, breathing in the other.

after all, actions speak louder than words.

•••

"oh come on, johnny, we've watched like three movies now and i'm hungry. there's no food here, and i need maccas!" mackenzie was whining.

"but coach says no–"

"i don't care what coach says! i'm 90% sure coach also says no fucking!"

"that's different!" he argued, laughing at her as she tried to start wrestling him. "sex is good for fitness–"

"and maccas is good for eating!" mackenzie yelled, pouting her lips.

he sighed.

"please." she begged with a smile, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"no. it's like, 1am!"

"and? they're open 24 hours a day!" mackenzie argued, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "please." she kissed his other cheek. "please, please, please." she touched her lips to his forehead, nose and his lips in between each please.

he kissed back, lips softly moving against hers and his warm body underneath hers as she straddled him.

abruptly, she pulled away, dizzy but laughing. "if you don't take me to maccas, then you're not getting any tonight."

"well technically, it's morning–" he tried to point out.

mackenzie crossed her arms and he stopped talking.

"you look pretty when you –" he tried to distract her this time.

"johnnyyyy!" she yelled.

"okay, fine. but only because you blackmailed me. and i know we'll burn it off anyway." he laughed at her.

"all nighter?" she winked terribly at him.

"oh of course." he smiled.

AUTHORS NOTE

was writing this with my (14 year old) sister next to me who was blasting billie eilish's album,,, so if this makes no sense blame fucking billie ok

also ksksksk is it like a normal teenager thing to be so fucking sad all the time because 🤭