Chapter 20: fears and hopes

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, little one. But seriously my lord, you need to take care of that wound." He said the last part to Legolas. "I will do that." Said Niphredil maybe a little too quick. Haldir laughed. "Of course you do. I don't know why I was worried." He said and left, still laughing.

"Don't keep Legolas on foot, Niphredil. He is tired." Said Lord Celeborn with a smile. Niphredil blushed and bowed and took Legolas to his room. When the maids brought necessary tools and left, she helped him to strip off his tunic. She blushed at the sight of his bare chest and dropped her face and bit her lip. Legolas saw this and smiled. He plopped down on a chair. Niphredil dabbed a cloth in water and began to clean the wound gently. It was a bad looking deep cut. She furrowed and her lips became a thin line.

"How was your father?" she asked after a while. "Busy but fine. Everything had gotten worse in Mirkwook. Devil creatures attacking them back and forth. Father accepted Lord Celeborns plan. They are going to clean the forest and take Dol-Goldor." Niphredil raised her head at the mention of Dol-Goldor.

Legolas tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "you don't want to go back and help your father?" asked Niphredil. Legoals looked away and think for a moment. "father has Tauriel. They doing fine without me. I have to take another road." He said.

Niphredil finished bandaging his arm. And helped him to put on a clean light blue robe and tunic. Legolas encircled his arms around her waist and pulled her close. "I've missed you, Niphredil." he said quietly. "I missed you too. I was worried. Never do that to me again." She told him. Legolas didn't waste more time. He pressed his lips to hers and kissed her passionately. Niphredil kissed him back, enjoying the feeling of peace. Someone knocked at the door and they pulled away. "come in." said Legolas. The door opened and Aragorn came in. "Legolas!" he called. The two men put their hands at each other shoulders. "I'm happy you are fine, my friend. I was worried. I've heard you have got wounded."

"it was not important. Niphredil has just finished cleaning it.".

Niphredil left the two friends to talk together. She took the bloody clothes and water and give it to one of the maids. She then poured a glass of nourishing beverage for Legolas. When she returned Aragorn was leaving. "good night, my lady." Said Aragorn. "good night, Aragorn." Said Niphredil.

Niphredil handed the glass to Legolas and went to the balcony. stars were shining brightly in the clear sky. She felt Legolas behind her and two strong arms curled around her. she leaned to his arms and closed her eyes. Legolas kissed her temple. They stood like that for a long time, watching the beautiful sky, until Niphredil said goodnight and left.

***

There was a hill in the south of Caras-Galadhon. Circles of Malorn trees had covered the hill except for the South East side of the hill. So you could see Anduin flowing south. There was a bench on top of the hill. Niphredil was sitting on it in the last hours of the day, reading a book. She felt a pair of eyes and turned her head and saw Boromir standing there. "my lady." he said and bowed. Niphredil smiled. "it's good to see you have gained your power back." said Boromir.

"thank you, Boromir. Come. Sit here." said Niphredil and closed her book. Boromir came and sat beside her. Both looked ahead at the river.

"you know, my city is there, beyond the white mountains." Said Boromir and pointed to the South East. "I'm afraid to encounter its ruins when I'm back." He said and leaned his elbows on his legs and buried his face with his hands. Niphredil put her hand on his back and whispered his name. "Boromir!". Boromir raised his head and looked into her eyes.

"tell me, my lady. Tell me there is hope in this silly mission. Tell me these dark days will end." he said with tearful eyes.

Niphredil felt her heart broke into pieces at the sight of that strong man broken like that. "Boromir!" she couldn't say more.

Boromir stood and went at the edge of the hill. A soft breeze moved his short golden hair. "I wish this war ends one day and I could see my people living without fear of darkness. I wish to ride with my brother on Pelennor plains just for fun." Said Boromir and laughed. "I missed him. I missed laughing together. when this war ends I want to marry a girl like you. Beautiful and wise. I want to hug my children and watch them playing with Faramir's children when we are watching them. " he turned to Niphredil. "Tell me that I can see these beautiful days."

Niphredil pushed back her tears and stood and went to him. "I wish you can see these days Boromir, but I can't say anymore. Be sure of something, this quest is anything other than silly or useless. it's our only hope. If we defeat this evil, the next generation, like your children will live without the fear of darkness. I promise you to do anything in my power to help you see these days, Boromir. Just don't do anything stupid. don't let your pure heart to be affected with poisonous temptations." said Niphredil.

Boromir looked at her for a second. He then leaned and gently kissed her forehead and then hugged her tightly. Niphredil hugged him back and draw circles on his back. She felt his tensed muscles relaxed under her touch.

"I believe you, Niphredil. I understand what you meant. I will do my best." whispered Boromir.

"I know, Boromir. I know." said Niphredil. She knew he would do his best, but deep in her heart, a great fear had been formed for Boromir from Imladris. She only could pray that her fear wouldn't come to reality as Legolas had told her.