Chapter 9

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

"This is going to sound so cliche," Kaminari chucked, nerves radiating from the sound.

"Go ahead," I urged, hoping the interaction wasn't as awkward as I thought it was. I was never good in situations like these. Not that they often arose, but the few times I had been stuck trying to give reassurance, the person I was talking to would have definitely better off without me.

He laughed again, however it miraculously sounded a tad less on edge. "My worst fear, is small spaces," he fessed eventually.

"Oh," I replied automatically, not sure what else to say. "I don't like them either," I admitted, hoping that in relating to his troubles, that he'd feel a little better knowing he wasn't alone.

Kaminari's head brushed against the collar of his shirt as he glanced at me. "Why don't you like them?"

"You first." I hated being so forward, but it was the only way I could buy myself time.

"Fair enough," he gave in. "Well, when I was younger, I would always sneak downstairs after my bedtime. The living room was right in front of the stairs, so I could sit on them and watch TV with my parents without them even knowing. One time they were watching this show, I don't know the name of it, but there was this room slowly closing in on the characters who were trying to figure out a way to freedom." He paused for a moment. "I guess just watching the room become smaller so slowly, it scared me. The smaller the room the easier it is for everything to close up around you, I can't even see the walls in here so who's to say they haven't moved yet?"

The more he spoke the quicker his words become due to obvious anxiety. But that was okay, I had plenty of time to think of my fax reason.

"I don't like small spaces because my babysitter used to lock me in closets so she wouldn't have to look after me," I began. It wasn't a great cover story, but it shifted blame and took judgement to a nonexistent person. "She would have friends over and halfway through the night she would slip pizza or some other food under the door so I wouldn't go hungry. Thirty minutes before my parents got home, she'd let me out, bribe me with candy or some sweets, and I never said a word."

"She locked you in a closet?" Kaminari repeated incredulously.

I nodded, not that he could see me in the dark. "Yeah."

"That's horrible," Kaminari said, "I don't think I ever would've recovered from that."

"It wasn't so bad," I assured him.