Chapter 1

We talked a lot the rest of junior year. He helped me get my life back on track. I stopped smoking, I partied a lot less. It was like old times, we would sneak over to each other's houses still. My dad was still strict after the death of my mother, probably even more so. That's why we snuck.

It was tough trying to deal with her death. I would wake up in the middle of the night all the time and just cry. One night it was so bad that I called Jack. He opened my window and hopped in. It was an easy jump for him because it was so close to the ground. I was laying in my bed, tear stained cheeks, hair everywhere. He engulfed me in his strong arms and I held on as tight as I could. He rocked me back and forth with his hand on the back of my head until I calmed down. I laid my head on his chest and he laid against the head board of my bed.

"Does this always happen?" He asks calmly. I guess he already knew it was about my mother. I hesitate before lightly nodding my head.

"Why is this the first time you've called me?"

"I didn't want to bother you."

"Claire it's not a bother at all. You can call me whenever you need me."

He tilts my chin up so I'm looking at him. He uses his thumb to wipe away the tears on my cheeks.

"I'll always be here for you," he says before kissing my cheek. I let off a small smile and he pulls my head back into him.

We laid there for what felt like hours but was probably only 20 minutes until he spoke up, "I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what?"

"For letting us fall apart."

"Jack it's not your fault at all. We both just made new friends."

"Yeah but I wanted us to stay friends," he says.

"Me too. But at least we're friends again now," I say trying to make him feel better.

He stayed silent until he sighs again, "I love you."

"I love you too." Of course in that moment i didn't think he actually meant it. Or if he did, it was meant in a brotherly-sister way. That night i fell asleep in his arms.

-

I woke up the next morning to Jack's arms wrapped around my waist. I turn around so I'm now facing him and I admired him. How peaceful he looked when he slept. He was so handsome. This was when I realized how amazing all of his features were. His jaw looked magnificent. His eyebrows were perfectly shaped above his restful eyes. I shifted my gaze to his pink, luscious lips and got a sudden urge to kiss them. I mean we were best friends, especially when we were little. I didn't have that many friends that were girls growing up which is probably why I always hung around with Jack and his friends. I've never really thought about dating Jack. It would be amazing I bet because of the way he takes care of me. We got the chance to be closer again this year and I'm thankful for every minute of it.

"What are you staring at?" He asks in a raspy voice with his eyes still closed. I guess I had been in such deep thought that I didn't notice my eyes were probably burning through his skin.

"I-I'm not staring," I stammer.

"You're lying," he says with a smile, looking at me and I turn so I'm no longer facing him.

"I seem to recall that you used to be extremely ticklish when we were kids." He says.
"That was forever ago. I'm not ticklish anymore," I try to reply as emotionless as possible.

"Bullshit," he says and a wide smile spreads across his face before I feel his hand tickle my side a little.

"No jack don't you dare."
He looks at me mischievously before he moves on top of me and tickles up and down my sides causing me to squeal in laughter. I try to break free but he was sitting on me. Soon he stopped and my wrists were pinned above my head. He looks me in the eyes before his eyes flicker to my lips. He dips his head down a little but his phone starts ringing which makes him jump off of me. He rubs his hands on his pants, nervously, then his hands through his hair before answering the phone. I don't know what was about to happen but I wish I could've found out.