Chapter 1

An argument had broken out at the breakfast table yet again. My sister Annabelle had restated the point she had been making every day for a week.

"But I should be allowed to play some of the games because I have helped with the others!"

The topic of conversation was my birthday party. I had been planning it for a month and everything was going to be perfect. The only problem was Annabelle. My parents needed her to help them but she had kicked up a huge fuss. At first she had pointed out that since she was older than me, she should be allowed to just stay up in her room. When that failed, she tried negotiating. The current standing was that she would help with the games but watch the movie. But now she was at it again.

"But darling, we need you to help while they play the games. Not just to set them up!" My mum was sick and tired of this argument and I could tell that she was about to get angry.

Annabelle was not happy either. "I don't see why I have to do so much for Eva's stupid birthday party! And if you have to make me do all this, I should at least get a reward!"

This was the last straw and mum blew. "HOW DARE YOU CALL THE PARTY WE HAVE PUT SO MUCH EFFORT INTO STUPID! EVA HELPED AT YOUR PARTY, WHY SHOULDN'T YOU HELP AT HERS? YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW HARD I WORK TO KEEP YOU HAPPY ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. BE GRATEFUL!"

My dad chose this moment to walk in. "Who exploded?" He asked matter of factly.

"Mum. Can I have another croissant?" Croissants are my favourite food and we have them for breakfast every birthday. I wasn't paying much attention to the argument and was more worried about food. I had a dilemma. What colour should the icing on my cake be? It is a huge problem that requires careful thought. I think blue but it's a chocolate cake and it won't match. I think red would look nice. My thoughts were interrupted by my father passing me another croissant with melted cheese oozing out the the sides. It looked so good and required all my attention for a few minutes.

I listened to my mum take a few deep breathes then tell Annabelle, "I expect you to help me run your younger sister's party. You can watch the movie but will help with the games," Annabelle tried to interrupt but dad shushed her, "No arguing. Eva helped at your party, you can help at hers."

After I had finished my fourth croissant I was lead into the lounge room. Then I opened my eyes and saw the best present ever. It was a shiny new turquoise bike!!!!!! I had needed one for ages, and was expecting to get Annabelle's when she got a new one, but this - this was the best birthday present I have ever got!

"Can I try it out right now? This is so awesome! Thank you so much!" I ran over to Mum and gave her the biggest hug.

"Wait a second little missy. Where's my hug?" My Dad said as I turned back to the bike.

I gave him a sheepish grin and ran into his arms. After my crushing bear hug, I went to the bike a started wheeling it out of the room.

"Wait!" Annabelle shouted as I was halfway out the door, "I have a present for you."

She reached into her pocket and pulled out an envelope. She handed it to me and pulled me into a hug. "Now open it squirt."

I loved my sister but she could sometimes be a right pain. I opened the envelope and took out a handwritten voucher.

"This voucher gives the receiver a trip to the RSPCA shelter and lets her pick out a dog of her choice, free of charge!" I read aloud.

I almost fainted with shock. I stared at Annabelle then my parents who nodded.

Annabelle seemed put out, "It's ok if you don't like it, I can always get you some-"

But I interrupted, "ARE YOU KIDDING? I absolutely love it. Thank you to the ends of the earth!"

I gave her a hug and a kiss. I have wanted a dog for my whole life and mum and dad had always said when you're older and now I get one! I was ecstatic!

"Let's go right now!" I yelled.

To my surprise we did! And I have a puppy!!!!!!! She is an adorable golden retriever called Bonnie. I love her so much already. We were playing with her on the floor of the lounge room when the door bell rang.

That's what changed my life.