“Did she?” Lena asked.

“Yeah," he said. “I miss Abby though." he pouted as Lena put a new shirt on.

“I miss her too," Lena said. “But they're coming back from New Jersey for my birthday in three weeks, so you’ll see her again and her round belly.”

“Who do you think Jaycee would look like? Scott or Abigail?” he asked. He asks about fifty thousand questions a day.

Lena shrugged. “I don’t know, we have to wait until Jaycee here to know. Now,” she said, helping him off the counter, “No more chocolate syrup. TV until nine and then bed.”

He pursed his lips, “Or more syrup, no bath, and no bed!”

“Haha, not happening. Now go watch TV while I make us some dinner," she said. Tyler turned around grumpily to go to the living room.

As Lena made dinner for Tyler, she couldn’t stop thinking about Darien.

*

Darien stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. He ran his hand across the foggy mirror and saw himself. He had a tattoo on his chest of his mother's Gemini zodiac sign and his Libra scale. He knew a guy who was friends with a tattoo artist who did work for cheap; only cost him twenty-five dollars.

But that wasn’t what Darien was looking at. He touched one of the inch sized scars on his waist, flashing back to the day he had gotten it. He was nine and the metal on his father's belt came lose and cut him.

Another one on his stomach was an inch and half long. His father forced had forced him to cut himself one night when he was drunk and high; he thought Darien wouldn’t feel it and that he might have fun doing it. Darien had a few other scars that he couldn’t even remember how he had gotten them because he had blacked out from the pain.

Darien’s hands balled up into tight fist as he leaned on the sink, trying to control his anger.

He thought of his mother smiling down at him. Her warm loving smile always seemed to make him feel better. He never really understood why she never would leave his father, but Darien was sure his father would have found her through the people he associated were that were in gangs.

Darien's mother's smiling face suddenly morphed into Lena's. She was smiling and some of her soft brown hair fell in her face. He opened his eyes and got up from the sink.

He mentally smacked himself. "What are you doing thinking about Lena? You barely know her," he told himself, not wanting to think about that stubborn girl.

He was worried that if he kept thinking about her he was going to have to find a new place to live. He remembered how beautiful she looked when he had dreamed of her and when he found her sleeping in his arms.

"I have to get this girl out of my head." Darien said finally. "Time to be the asshole I am."

*

When Darien's first class was over and he was walking up to the front to leave, Mr. Beckett called his name, “Hey Darien, can I speak to you?"

Darien groaned to himself, turned around, and walked over to him, “Yes?”

“I would like to talk about last night's homework." Mr. Beckett said.

“What about it?” he asked, uncaringly.

“Well let's start by saying you didn’t even turn it in," he said.

“I was busy." Darien returned.

“With?” Mr. Beckett asked. Darien didn’t answer. He could have done it when Lena left, but he didn’t and he didn’t feel like doing it. “Darien, I understand who you are. I use to be you—”

“You don’t know me." Darien said.

“Sure I do." he said. “You’re the tough guy who can’t stand being told what to do. You’re the bully who doesn’t give a crap if he starts a fight and gets suspended. And I’m sure I don’t have to ask if you have ever drank, smoked, and at least have a few tattoos.”

Darien was getting annoyed now. “Look, Mr. Beckett, I have to get to my next class," he said angrily.

“Okay, Darien." he said. “But if you ever need someone to talk to who knows how it feels to be you, I’m here.”

“Thanks." he sarcastically said, leaving the room. Darien doesn’t need help from Mr. Beckett and he doesn’t need Lena. He can take care of himself.