The Season for Brides

Spring brought much relief to the housebound. The first leaves of grass were a welcome sight to man and beast alike. Mhairie found many excuses to be outside when her chores were finished inside. It wasn't long before she had her favorite horse trained the way she wanted it and was making plans to break a colt.

"Should I worry, Mhairie?" teased Thorne affectionately when she mounted up one day. "If you'd a mind to, ye could take to yonder hills and ne'er return."

"Aye," she agreed, laughing. "But I'd miss ye too much to ever stay long. 'Tis hunting I go today, Thorne. To be sure, Mhaer would enjoy a change from smoked ham."

He nodded. "We all would. Kennan and I are breaking sod today with the oxen. Miranda's seed is begging to be planted. Mhaer is readying her seed for the garden and Miranda is readying a place in the storeroom for the wool." He grinned. "The sheep'll want shearing soon, to be sure, but they'll never be ready soon enough for Miranda."

Mhairie laughed, agreeing with him. "She has taken to Mhaer's loom, and I cannae' complain." With that, she kneed her mount and headed out the gate. It wasn't long before she'd managed to hang a good brace of rabbits from her saddle and was ready to return home. By habit, she scanned the far hills and the horizon before she set her mare in motion.

A haze of dust rising on a far hill had Mhairie straining to see what could be kicking up such a cloud. Barely, Mhairie could make out a dozen riders, headed in the general direction of the village. With a cry, Mhairie sent her horse flying for home.

"Riders coming!" she shouted when she'd gained the gates. "A dozen or so, headed this way." When she had the attention of her brother and the gate guards, she lowered her voice. "I estimate another three hours before they arrive."

Thorne's eyes had a shadow of worry about them. "That will be the Camerons, come to deliver Elspeth to her wedding. Go and fetch Mhaer, Mhairie. She'll need to know."

"Aye, Ewyn." Mhairie kneed her horse into a trot down the village lane until she'd reached the barn. Kennan reached out for the horse but Mhairie shook her head. "I may yet need her, Kennan, unless you've another, fresher horse for me." Then she jumped from the saddle and took her rabbits inside. Kennan shook his head and unsaddled the horse. From inside, the rumble of the querns told all and sundry that the womenfolk were rapidly preparing for the visitors as best they could.

Just over three tense hours later, the Cameron riders came upon the gate. Armed with her sword, Mhairie accompanied her brothers to the wall. "Are ye expecting trouble, Ewyn MacEwyn?" challenged the oldest rider. "I dinnae remember a wall about this village last time we visited."

Ewyn motioned for the gates to be opened. "Nay," he replied. "But that was before the Romans. Come in, Camerons, and rest before our fires." As soon as the gates were opened wide enough for a pair of horses, the riders started forward and entered the gates.

As they headed toward home, Mhairie was gratified and relieved to see that every soul stood just outside respective houses; the men with hands on swords, women with long knives partly hidden by their skirts. Only the children waved or smiled. Outside the Ewyn's home, Miranda waited beside Tavie, Mhairie and Kennan, ready for whatever might come.

Tavie spoke up. "Welcome again to my home, Alistair Cameron. And where is the maid, Elspeth?"

Another rider approached on his horse with a young girl mounted in front of him. The girl was pretty, but obviously was just beyond the reach of adulthood. "This be me sister, Elspeth."

"Why, she's but a girl!" protested Miranda. "How can you expect such a wee thing to be married?" No one said anything, but Mhairie saw a flash of resentment in the girl's eyes, as if she felt herself old enough and begrudged being considered as a child. Mhairie hid a smile, remembering herself at the same age, with the same resentments, no matter how unready she'd actually been for adulthood!