The Chronicles of Bael Part 15

Clayday, Illusion Week, Sea Season, 1600

We have arrived in the tiny little trading town of Too Far, the last substantial settlement before we leave the lands of Tarsh and enter Snake Pipe Hollow. To my disappointment, when I visited the small shrine to Chalana Arroy, I found only a single initiate of the cult in residence. It had been my hope to find Sarga Taft; the Priestess of this shrine, in the hopes that she would accompany our expedition into the Hollow. The value of a skilled healer cannot be overstated. This is particularly so when fighting Chaos, for the fetid diseases carried by Broo and worshippers of Malia will kill as surely as the blow of a club or cudgel. A skilled healer will not only heal these infections but recognize their source, so that they may be better avoided.

The name of the Chalana Arroy healer is Erissa Marn, and she was less than pleased at my entreaties to join our band. She told me that she had an obligation to tend to her flock and minister to their healing. Rather than tell her of her other obligation, I intoned the summons that all Lightbringer's must answer or lose the faith of their God.

"Chaos stalks my world.

Broos have bruised me, the Hand has pawed me.

I have taken up the impossible path,

And seek those who must aid my task.

You are not the first of my friends.

Others walked with me to Heal.

The Devil took them, they died.

I failed to save them, chaos grows."

Later when I asked Erissa where Sarga Taft was, she simply replied to me that she had answered the Lightbringer's summons two seasons before and had not returned. This was sad news indeed to bring to my Master, for he and Sarga Taft had known each other for many years.