The Chronicles of Bael Part 12

Fireday, Stasis Week, Sea Season, 1600

My dozen companions and I have completed the initial leg of our journey to the Hollow. Taking a barge from the docks at Furthest, we traveled south down the Osilir River for forty miles until we came to the town of Heruvernalda, where the Osilir and the Golden River meet. It was with some sadness that I left the town of Furthest. After so many years of travel, the last year at the Temple of Furthest has provided me some happiness. Furthest's whitewashed walls cannot compare to the cyclopean marble walls of Nochet, but in their efforts to create a new capitol for Tarsh, the Lunars have created a city that is well planned and sanitary. It is often said that it contains more temples than houses, most true and much to my liking.

The priestesses of the great temple of Ernalda at Heruvernalda have provided us with nights' lodgings. Our rooms are simple, for our God's share little except for the common hatred of Chaos. The temple of Heruvernalda is a large square building, unexceptional but for the finely crafted frescoes that adorn the symmetrical walls of the giant structure. I was much taken by the handsome axe bearing maiden's that guarded the temple, all acolytes of the Goddess Babeester Gor.