Prologue

"We can't afford to buy food! We could barely survive when we had Lorna! Having the twins is killing us!" Lorna covered her ears as she listened to her father shout at her mother. Her siblings were asleep, not having woken up from the loud noises. "You need to find a job!"
"Who will look after the kids?"
"Lorna is older enough! She can start pulling her weight around here!"
"She still a kid! We both know that Lorna struggles to contain her emotions, she doesn't need to take care of the twins!"
"Shut up." Lorna muttered, hating them arguing. She was ignored and her parents continued to shout. Lorna heard her siblings start crying from the other room, which made her angry. "I SAID SHUT UP!" She screamed. A green glow surrounded her hands and the knives floated out the drawers, before pointing at her parents. Lorna stared at the green glow in fear before looking at her parents. Upon seeing the fear in their eyes, she ran into her room to pack.

Lorna waited until it was dark before she headed for the front door but was stopped by her siblings. "Lolo, where you go?" Her sister asked in a small voice.
"I have to leave, to protect you."
"Protect us?" Her brother questioned, confused.
"Yeah. There is this big scary monster that wants to hurt this family. I'm going to fight the monster, so it doesn't hurt you."
"You come back?" Her sister asked.
"I'll find you when I know it is safe for you." Lorna hugged her siblings tightly, knowing it would be a very long time before she saw them again. She opened the door but looked at her siblings one last time. "I love you Andy. I love you Pete." With her final goodbyes being said, Lorna walked out the door.

Lorna had been living on the streets for six years before she made the mistake of being arrested. She used her powers to attack an officer who was abusing an innocent little boy. She was in cuffs staring at the man who came in to talk to her. "Those abusive bastards would be dead if I wanted them to be dead. I didn't want them dead just yet, so they lived." Lorna began to use her powers on the metal screws in the mans leg, causing him to grab at his knee. "In fact, I could kill you if I wish to, but I'll settle for causing you pain." Lorna released him and watched as he quickly walked to the door.
"You're being transferred to a prison." The man informed.
"NO!" Lorna screamed, causing the mirror in the room to shatter.

Lorna had been in prison for a few days and was being treated as the inmates punching bag. She stood in her cell and raised her hand to the bars. The familiar green glow took over her hand as her powers began to try and break the door. She felt something warm trickled down from her nose which made her stop and feel under nose, finding that blood had begun to leak from her nose. Lorna sat down in a ball in the corner of her cell and let silent tears drop.

Lorna was in the showers with the other inmates when she felt something running down her back. She caught sight of her hair; the black hair dye had washed away to reveal her green hair. When she discovered her power, her hair became naturally green as a physical sign of her difference. Having her true self shine through made something snap in Lorna, she felt unstoppable and was willing to fight for her freedom and she didn't care who got hurt along the way.

Days later, Lorna was placed into solitary confinement because she kept getting into fights on the prison yard. Her cell had no windows and a single metal door, which had evidence of someone trying to claw their way out. Lorna stood up and faced the door with a new level of determination. She raised both her hands and allowed the green glow to overcome them. The door began to rattle and Lorna could feel blood pouring, but she continued to use her powers. There was a lot of blood on Lornas face when the doors flung open from her powers. She managed to gain the strength to run out of her cell and use her powers to break out of the prison.

5 years after escaping prison, Lorna found herself in a mental hospital being diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After being in the hospital for two years, Lorna had become numb to the abuse the staff would give their patients daily. Lorna would pass the time by using her power to control an amulet that had been delivered at the hospital for her, surprisingly the staff passed the gift along. Lorna was interrupted by a knock on her room door. She caught the amulet and rushed to her feet, prepared for the next round of abuse. The door opened to reveal a man dressed in a black suit and tie, making Lorna on edge. "My name is Phil Coulson and I am with the Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division."
"You mean Shield?"
"Yes. The director has heard of your gifts and is hoping to put them to good use.
"Your boss is an idiot. This is a mental hospital and I have bipolar. I'm pretty sure it's safer for everyone if I'm in here."
"I don't think so. I know that power in the wrong hands can cause a lot of problems. I read your case, locked up for protecting an innocent boy. There is an idea known as the Avengers Initiative. It's a group of people who are the earth's protectors against anything that wishes to harm mankind. The group, it needs leaders."
"And they want me?"
"No, we have a leader in mind. What we need from you is; second in command. You know about people with 'unnatural' abilities. The choice is yours; you can stay here, or you can join his team and fight."
"I don't follow rules."
"Sometimes rules need to be broken." Coulson retorted, earning a chuckle from Lorna.
"I'm not wearing a costume; I don't do costumes."
"You don't have to if you don't want to. So, do we have a deal?"
"When do I start?"

A/N: This is just a prologue to introduce you to my character. I don't own anything, technically not even my own character who is heavily based on Lorna Dane from The Gifted. Lorna has two siblings, who you may be able to guess who they are. I've purposely not said the names, cause that reveal will be in another book. This is going to be a slowly updated story and it's going to have entire series if I don't decide to discontinue the story.