Chapter 15: Women Equality

Start from the beginning

"We are...looking for Fleur Baudin," Athos said uneasily. "She has run away from her family and they are anxious."

"Anxious to marry her into a life of domestic slavery, no doubt," said Ninon. "She's not here. You can go now."

She looked away.

"Your brooch," said Porthos. "What does it mean?"

"It is a wren," said Ninon. "A bird that cannot be caged. A symbol of hope and freedom.

Ninon looked pointedly at Cosette, however, the younger woman would ignore her. The less she looked at Ninon, the less the woman would deduce about her gender. And Aramis And Porthos were ones to see that Ninon was observing her. From her right, Aramis asked, "A symbol of your own dreams and ambitions, I would imagine?"

Ninon was no longer looking at Cosette and looked at Aramis, smiling.

"Ah. We have a romantic in our midst," said Ninon.

Cosette rolled her eyes as Ninon and the women chuckled.

"Observe, ladies - the remarkable phenomenon, a man of wisdom and perception," said Ninon. However, Cosette felt as if she was mocking her brothers.

"If by romantic you mean a man who gladly acknowledges the superiority of the female gender then...I accept the description," said Aramis.

"Your charm won't work here. We are quite immune," said Ninon. However, Cosette could see that the women from behind were so affected based on the fact they were giggling or smiling.

"We are not here to discuss your beliefs," Athos interrupted. "We are looking for Fleur Baudin."

"And I've already told you she's not here," said Ninon.

"Then you won't mind if we search your house?"

"On the contrary. I mind very much."

"I could insist."

"Or you could take my word. Am I right? Is there an inner sadness that informs the beauty of your features? Answer me honestly, and I shall allow you to search my house."

"We all have our deep secrets and hidden emotions, Comtesse," Athos responded. "Allow me to keep mine to myself."

"A barely adequate answer. But I am feeling indulgent." said Ninon. "Follow me."

Athos and Ninon left to search the whole mansion. Honestly, Cosette didn't understand how they would be able to search every room in the house. Actually, what bothered her was Ninon looking at her when she was talking to Athos. Cosette couldn't help but feel utter terror. Ninon could know who she was and blab to Athos. Cosette was not going to let that affect her.

"Well, if that wasn't flirting, I don't know what is," Cosette said. She wanted to say all this to distract herself from her thoughts.

"Rubbish," Porthos said. "She can't stand him."

"One day, we'll sit down and, err... I'll explain women to you," said Aramis.

Cosette rolled her eyes and tried keeping a straight face but with Aramis. It was never possible with him. Within twenty-five minutes, Athos and Ninon had returned, but Cosette could feel the tension that Athos was feeling after to the Comtesse. Something must have happened between her and Athos neither of them wanted to talk about.

Cosette heard some of the girls whispering behind her back. She could not help but think that they were gossiping about her. The thought of being discovered by other individuals other than her brothers. Constance knew since the day she first met. That woman, Agnes who revealed to her, knew based on the way Cosette acted differently than the other people. Treville knew the whole time. And Ninon and these women probably knew too. Athos, Aramis and Porthos would remain oblivious until the day she was an old woman. However, she could only imagine the horror if they found out now. There would be shock, hurt and betrayal, and a loss of trust. Now, when Athos returned, he looked as if he wanted to punch a wall. And Ninon looked awkward. However, Ninon looked at the way he talked to the girl in disguise. Cosette decided to ignore her.