➳ ℱ i v e

| Chapter 5 - A.A.M.S. ; Addison Shepherd's point of view |

"You don't sound very amused, Addison."

I glared down at the slug-like trail of water, which started at the door and ended underneath my feet. I tried to ignore the sounds of Ashton smirking through the phone.

"I need a towel."

"You need to relax."

"You need to take a hike."

Periods. Don't even get me started. The constant mood swings, irrelevant cravings, and the cramps were enough to make me insane for that split moment each month. And the fact that I was sopping wet from head to toe just made it worse.

"Aw, Addison's cranky."

"It's Addy to you."

"Why can't I call you Addison actually? It's your name after all."

"Because." I sighed

"Because what?" Ashton immitated my theatrical sigh

"Because I prefer Addy, okay?" I rolled my eyes

"Don't roll your eyes at me Shepherd." Ashton laughed like he could see me through the phone.

"Pfft, I didn't!" I giggled.

"Oh don't feed me crap Addison, I know you better than you think."

"Oh my god, stop with the Addison! Just shut up!" I'd lost my humorous tone and adopted one of annoyance.

I felt bad for being so sharp towards Ashton, but it appeared that I wasn't in control of my words.

"Grow some balls."

A little giggle left my lips. "Trust me, I wish I could."

That made Ashton laugh, which made me laugh, and soon I'd turned into a prime example of the oh-so-common mood swing.

"No, but seriously," I cut in after we'd laughed for about five minutes. "I didn't have enough money to pay a taxi for the whole way home, so I had to walk a block in the rain. You try walking in hurricane-like weather, bleeding uncontrollably, and then turning your apartment into a swamp."

"You need a break."

"I need a towel." I let out a little laugh.

"You should come for a drive down town."

I picked up the clump of hair draped over my shoulder, sending a drop of water falling to my feet. My shoes were waterlogged something severe, and my dress may as well have been picked straight out of the washing machine. "I look like I just crawled out of a swamp."

"Ugh, Addy!" Ashton started to protest.

"After six years of hibernating."

"I'll see you in ten."

The click of the phone call ending cut off Ashton's voice, and any chance I had of protesting further. I let out a frustrated noise that registered somewhere between a groan and a sigh, resisting falling back onto the couch behind me in fear of swampifying it as well. A woollen jumper hanging over the door handle caught my eye and without even thinking I threw it on the ground and began trying to mop up the water beneath my feet. Within 30 seconds of moving it back and forth with my soppy shoes, the jumper contained as much water as my dress, and I threw it into the corner where my washing basket usually was to remind me it needed washing. I sighed in defeat and sat down in the middle of the watery mess that was once a panel of floorboards, crossing my arms and furrowing my eyebrows.