The Dating Begins

Start from the beginning

INT. WINERY – DAY

The women enter the winery. At the tasting bar is David.  He turns around and flashes them a smile. The women, especially Elizabeth, eat this up. They elbow one another to get the spots closest to David. The servers pass around wine glasses with a bit of wine in them. David raises his glass and the women follow suit.

DAVID VERDIN

To the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

The women clink their glasses together and drink, while Claire drinks and does her best not to roll her eyes.

INT. WINERY – DAY – LATER

The WINERY OWNER stands on a stool behind the bar as a server goes around and refills everyone's glasses. Two women are on either side of David, close enough to be clearly invading his personal space.

WINERY OWNER

This is our winery's specialty – an old vine Zinfandel, very intense, full-bodied, with notes of raspberry and pepper.

Claire's phone rings. A few women turn to eye her.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Sorry...

She puts her wine glass down, fumbles in her purse, and pulls out her phone. She answers it.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Hello?

JESSE (V.O.)

Hey...you...hear this.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Hold on, the reception is horrible in here.

Claire, already in the back of the crowd, EXITS out the door. David watches her go. He disentangles himself from the two disappointed women.

DAVID VERDIN

Would you excuse me a moment, ladies? I need to use the restroom.

He puts his glass down, and heads down the hallway, looking over his shoulder as he goes.

EXT. WINERY – DAY

The door exits to a green lawn area, surrounded by some large evergreen trees.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

What's wrong, Jesse?

JESSE (V.O.)

Did I say something was wrong? I just had to tell you, the new Batman movie is amazing! You've got to see it.

(long beat)

You're...still filming that television show, aren't you?

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Yep.

JESSE (V.O.)

So...I'll...talk to you later then? Great! Have fun! Good luck!

Jesse hangs up the phone with a CLICK. Claire looks at the phone and shakes her head. Just as she drops it back into her purse, she sees the evergreen trees off to the side rustling. She starts walking towards them. They rustle again. Claire approaches the first tree.

CLAIRE LE MAYES

Is someone there?

DAVID VERDIN